strings_zh.qm

However, it has the QtBase translation file for the following languages only:

qtbase_ru.qm
qtbase_de.qm
qtbase_en.qm
qtbase_fr.qm
qtbase_it.qm
qtbase_ja.qm

This leads to issues that Spanish, Simplified Chinese, and Portugal language files “strings_??.qm” cannot supply the lack of the translations of certain commonly-used words among Qt apps. For example, the buttons of this window (file save confirmation when trying to quit Dorico):

// Portugal MUI, buttons are English due to the lack of its QtBase translation file.

[Update]

Fortunately, the “strings_??.qm” file can be patched by adding the missing entry from QtBase. I added the following 3 entries to the “strings_??.qm” file of my localized Chinese MUI (not offical yet and not completed yet), and I successfully made these 3 buttons localized.

msgctxt "QCocoaTheme|"
msgid "Don't Save"
msgstr "不保存"

msgctxt "QPlatformTheme|"
msgid "Save"
msgstr "保存"

msgctxt "QPlatformTheme|"
msgid "Cancel"
msgstr "取消"

We can only supply the localisation files for Qt’s base strings for languages that they are provided by the Qt company. The fact that those files are not included with Dorico is not evidence of a bug, but rather of which languages the Qt company consider it worth their while to maintain translations for.

1 Like

Thanks for the confirmation. Then the rest is to patch the string_??.qm files in those languages which have lack of QtBase translation. At least it works.

Since this issue still exists in Dorico 4 (even after these years), I am going to send a bug report ticket to Qt to ask them to supply these missing QtBase translation files.

Update 1: Ticket sent: [QTBUG-110828] Please supply QtBase translation files for all languages supported by Qt. - Qt Bug Tracker

Update 2: I’ll see a chance to supply this file to Qt through a pull request.

Hi, Daniel,

Sorry for this message again for this issue.

I just checked the Qt localization repository:
https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qttranslations.git/tree/translations?h=5.15-tr

It seems that the language tag for Simplified Chinese has been changed from zh to zh_CN since Qt 5.2 release. Dorico still uses zh, that’s likely the reason why it cannot pack the qtbase_zh_CN.ts or qtbase_zh_CN.qm file.

In such case, even if I send a pull request to the upstream, such pull request will be definitely rejected (due to their abortion of the zh lang tag). The last resort is on Dorico developers’ side, changing the zh tag to zh_CN.

Sincerely,
Shiki

I’m certain that the Qt team will close your issue without taking any action. It’s up to us to handle this appropriately. I have spent some time looking at this today, and we’ll be able to include basic translations from Qt for Chinese, Brazilian Portuguese and Spanish in our next major version.

1 Like