Quantize Locator Position

Is there a way to quantize locator position with a simple shortcut?

I’ve read this in the manual but I’m trying to avoid mouse clicks.

To set both locators to the nearest snap position, do the following:
Press Ctrl/Cmd-Alt and click at a position in the upper part of the ruler.

Thanks,

Hi,

By default the Locators are snapped to the grid, when you move them by mouse.

Unfortunately there is no Key Command to snap the Locator(s) to the grid.

Yes, it seems that Cubase has a few built-in commands like this where they forgot to include it in the key commands. The feature is there since it can be done with a mouse CTRL+click in the ruler.

Every Cubase command should have it’s shortcut in the Key Commands list. Maybe there’s a way to do it with a macro or logical editor.

Any ideas for workarounds are welcome.

Hi,

Could you please send the link to the Operation Manula page, where did you find the text?

In my experience:

• Opt + click (Windows is probably Ctrl + click) = Set the Left locator to the click position. If Snap is enabled, the position will be snapped to the grid, if Snap is disabled, it will not be snapped.
  • Cmd + click (Windows is probably Alt + click) = Set the Right locator to the click position. If Snap is enabled, the position will be snapped to the grid, if Snap is disabled, it will not be snapped.
  • Opt + Cmd + click (Windows is probably Ctrl + Alt + click) to the upper part of the main ruler = Set both locators to the click position. If Snap is enabled, the position will be snapped to the grid, if Snap is disabled, it will not be snapped.
  • Opt + Cmd + click (Windows is probably Ctrl + Alt + click) to the bottom part of the main ruler = Set the Left locator to the click position. If Snap is enabled, the position will be snapped to the grid, if Snap is disabled, it will not be snapped. (Probably a bug)

There are Key Commands to move Locators and if Snap is on those moves should Snap as they move along the Grid.

Hi,

Not really, as far as I know. You can snap the locator(s) to an object (to the Cursor or to the Selection). But as far as I know, you cannot nudge Locators, or can you?

You’re right. Taking a look it turns out I had to create a Macro for this.

1. Move Cursor to Locator
  2. Nudge Cursor as many times as wanted
  3. Move Locator to Cursor
  4. If desired repeat for the other Locator

I built several versions of this to move by different amounts (1, 4, 8… bars) & assigned them to Metatgrid buttons. It does look a bit odd in action because the Left & Right Locators move at different times so it kinda looks like they are walking along the grid.

Thanks, I’ll give this a shot. I have both metagrid and a newly bought Stream Deck XL so I’m trying to limit mouse clicks to a minimum.

Hi,

Thank you for the link. It works this way only if the Snap is enabled. If Snap is disabled, by doing Ctrl + Alt + click, you just set both locators to the position, where do you click to.

This works great with Metagrid. Wasn’t at my DAW before, here’s an example.

Move Locators.jpg

Thanks for that workaround.