Quantize problem?

Hi Steinberg, the Quantize functions need immediate attention. I’m having a major headache trying to work. There has been some mention in another thread but I think this detailed account of the problem needs it’s own thread, so…

Test 1 - The key editor
Open a project previously created in Cubase 9.
Double click to open key editor.
Select any quantize value, the vertical lines remain locked to the 16th note grid.
Press Q. the notes do move, but as the grid does not it’s really awfully inconvenient and a horrible way to work.

Test 2 - the drum editor.
Select any quantize value, the vertical lines remain locked to the 16th note grid.
Press Q. the notes do move, but as the grid does not it’s really awfully inconvenient and a horrible way to work.

I messed with this a number of times. Then uninstalled the update. Downloaded the full 11Gbs and did a fresh install. Yes, I totally got rid of all previous Cubase 9 installations and files. The same thing happened over and over. So it’s not my fault. This is a Cubase bug.

Test number 2 - the Key editor
Create a new project in my freshly installed Cubase 9.5
Double click to open key editor.
Select any quantize value - this time all works perfectly. the grid changes with the selected quantize value.
Press Q. everything is aligned. Good so far.

Test 3 - the Drum editor

Double click drum track, open the drum editor.
Select any quantize value, the vertical lines remain locked to the 16th note grid. Meaning NO, the grid does NOT reconfigure to reflect the selected quantiize value.
Press Q. the notes do move to reflect the select value, but as the grid does not move, I’m forced to work in a totally crappy way. Not good.

I really don’t get it guys, it’s always feeling like 2 steps forward, one step back with Cubase. It was working so well in Cubase 9, why are you messing with that code? Cubase would be so awesome, if everything advertised functioned as advertised. Added to that there is the fear that we will have to wait three or more months before you come out with one of your little updates which might or might not address the problem. And why don’t you involve us the users in helping you to check and fix the bugs before you do all these massively hyped releases? I love my Cubase guys, but it’s really frustrating to see the way you’re always messing up stuff that is working properly. I’m gonna stop now before I say stuff I shouldn’t, but quite honestly team Cubase, this is really so disheartening and sad. Hope you get it together so we users can feel happy and positive again whenever you do a new release, instead of the fear we currently feel. Now as much as I don’t want to I will have to make or move on to new threads complaining about the colour bug in the preference window and and my none-existent Flux synth in Halionsonic. Nuff said.

I have the same issue with Drum Editor only, Key editor was working (I think). I moved back to 9 because deadlines. You know what I mean? I’ll periodically check back here and fire up 9.5 to see if this has been resolved. Until it is, however, I can’t use it. Bummer.

I have the same issue with Drum Editor only, Key editor was working (I think). I moved back to 9 because deadlines. You know what I mean? I’ll periodically check back here and fire up 9.5 to see if this has been resolved. Until it is, however, I can’t use it. Bummer.

Could it be you guys have set the Grid Type to the new Adapt to Zoom instead of Use Quantize?

“Could it be you guys have set the Grid Type to the new Adapt to Zoom instead of Use Quantize?”

It happens with all the settings, bar, beat, use quantize and Adapt to Zoom. Plus it really shouldn’t matter if it’s set to Adapt to Zoom. Adapt to Zoom should also reflect the selected Quantize preset. The fact is the grid stays fixed on 16th notes no matter what quantize is selected. The problem in my view is not that quantize isn’t working. The problem is that the graphics (the grid) does not change to reflect the selected presets. See my original post. But thanks for responding. It’s a Steinberg problem though.

Also when you zoom in or out?

That’s exactly the behavior of the Grid Type’s Adapt to Zoom. It’s relating to the current zoom level, not the quantize setting.

No problem, good luck!

“That’s exactly the behavior of the Grid Type’s Adapt to Zoom. It’s relating to the current zoom level, not the quantize setting.”
Hi Niles, I see what you’re saying re Adapt to Zoom. Just checked, my bad regarding that. Anyway my default setting is on bars and the problem exists there as well as with all the other functions as stated before.

Confirmed, but only in the drum editor.

I had the same problem in the drum editor, but then I switched quantize in the drum editor to Adapt To Quantize. After I tried this feature I switched back to Use Quantize and the problem was fixed with the grid lines responding to the quantize settings.

I can not reproduce this with the right snap setting

@Tracker.
In deed! My grid type was set to “Use Snap from drum map”. I switched back to “use quantize”. Everthing is ok now.
But I wonder why this setting was changed in the first place. Anyway: Problem sorted.

Problem fixed. Thanks Niles for the gif. New features got me confused, gifs got me sorted out.

Much obliged!