Quarter-tone accidentals

Is there an easy way to use quarter-tone accidentals that are not arrow-based? I don’t like this arrow notation as I think it induces performers in error: it kind of conveys the idea of playing slightly above of below a pitch. Quarter-tones are tempered pitches, concisely defined, which call for playing techniques described in instrument treatises. I really think Dorico should feature the standard notation for quarter-tones, which I believe is not the arrow notation.

Bravura contains a vast number of accidental glyphs. The onus is on you to create or modify a tonality system that uses the glyphs you want to use. Gould goes as far as to say that “No pitches other than the twelve chromatic degrees of the octave have standard notation”, so perhaps consider the existing 24-EDO tonality system as an example of what’s possible.

Thanks, pianoleo. Have just sorted this out on my own. I built a new tonality system (24-EDO) with the Stein-Zimmermann notation system… Anyway, this could have come as a preset to choose from.

So in Dorico 4.1 it appears that the default 24-EDO system has been changed to the Stein-Zimmermann set. Is the Gould version with the arrows available as a preset? (I’ve made my own Gould arrow tonality system but now the key commands for sharp, natural, and flat have stopped working. Presumably I’ve overlooked how to access the preset.)

I exported the default 24-EDO system from Dorico 3.5. Try unzipping and importing this:
Arrow-Accis.zip (4.8 KB)

1 Like

Please, it would be great to have an option to switch easily between Stein-Zimmermann and Gould version

Thanks, Mark. I’ve imported it and am still having the problem that key commands for sharp, natural, and flat do not work, except for during Note Input. (So if I click on an existing note and hit my Key Command for Sharp, nothing happens.)

Yes, I think unfortunately the regular ♯ and ♭ key commands will work only with the built-in 24-EDO system.