Quavers always show as crotchets

For some reason quavers are always shown as crotchets even though the duration panel shows a quaver and the durations in the bars are correct as quavers. If I input a note an octave higher it is a quaver but when transposed down an octave, it is a crotchet again. How can I change this? I’m using Dorico 3.5 on MacOS 10.14.6.

Can you show us a screenshot, or provide a sample file?

Thanks for your reply, here are the screen shots:

Screenshot 2021-04-27 at 11.19.55

Screenshot 2021-04-27 at 11.20.12

This sounds like a font issue. I suspect your quaver flag has disappeared somehow. Have you recently updated Dorico? If so, have you restarted your computer since? Have you recently installed any other software that depends on the Bravura font?

I use November 2 but it is the same problem with Bravura and Petaluma. I can’t remember when I updated Dorico but I think it was sometime ago. I have Finale but have never used the Bravura font with that software, I always used Petrucci until I got November.

And you’ve restarted the computer since? Is it just one document, or every document?

In Engrave menu > Music Symbols, search for the flags. Are they correct?

Wait a sec, we’ve had this discussion before, here: Can't erase one note - #5 by dspreadbury

Have you done the stuff in that thread?

I thought we had a similar discussion but since the change of forum format I could not find my old posts… I will go through all the suggestions now and get back to this thread. And I will make extensive notes.

I am also getting strange instructions from previous scores when I use certain key commands so I think it may be a good idea to completely reinstall Dorico anyway.

Reinstalling won’t actually clear your user data folder, which is at Mac: /Users/your-username/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico 3.5
Windows: %APPDATA%\Steinberg\Dorico 3.5

If it’s shortcuts that are doing weird things, delete (or at least move) the keycommands_en.json file from within that folder. Dorico will recreate it the next time you assign a user key command.

If you delete the whole folder then I think Dorico will recreate it the next time you launch Dorico. If not, deleting that folder and then reinstalling Dorico should get you back to factory settings.

Many thanks for that, deleting the folder seemed to correct the problem. However I may still reinstall Dorico as I started learning it on single staff, semi-improvised scores, sometimes with graphics. I now have to input a new ensemble piece - with no improvisation - so I will start afresh.

Well if deleting that folder has fixed Dorico, there’s unlikely to be anything gained by reinstalling Dorico.

It’s quite common that somebody says “maybe I should reinstall Dorico”, and it always leaves me scratching my head. The application itself is, to most intents and purposes, read-only. The only exceptions are if you’ve rooted around within the application bundle to modify e.g. the factory keycommands or instruments library (which isn’t recommended), or if you want a blanket approach to fixing e.g. borked fonts, I suppose.

Agreed; but it is so easy to do that I have reinstalled Dorico between writing my last two posts.
Using both MacOS and Linux, reinstalling software becomes second nature. But the main reason is I may have accidentally changed some factory key commands to the ones I used in Finale when I was in a hurry - just after I installed it. However I now have time to learn Dorico in detail (thanks to the dreaded lockdown) so a fresh start makes me feel more secure.

But again, the keycommands you set within Dorico reside in the user folder, not the application bundle.

Yes! On Mac support forums, I often see people saying “I’ve reinstalled three times and it still doesn’t work. How many more times must I reinstall it?”

Most problems are caused by user settings, rather than altered or absent application files.

To illustrate the point, here’s the contents of the application bundle. Dorico 3.5.12 wasn’t released until the 23rd of Feb, and I didn’t actually install it on this machine until after the 23rd of Feb, yet I’ve used it most days.

Look at the Date Modified on all of these files.

If you reinstall Dorico, all you’re doing is replacing these files with the same pristine files. It’s very quick, but pointless. It won’t fix your keyboard shortcuts or your application settings or anything else, because those files are stored at ~/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico 3.5 and that folder is left intact when you reinstall Dorico!

In this case I uninstalled everything, searching the hard disk for anything connected with Dorico, so it was as if I never had it installed. It is of course true that reinstalling software and clean installs, are part of MacOS culture but it was just this once I decided to do it - I don’t do it that often. There was other bizarre behaviour though which suggests I had changed something.
On Macs some people even reinstall the OS to cure certain problems; certainly if you have been using Macs for a few decades most people would have probably have reinstalled the OS once.

Everything is working now. Thanks for all your help.

I haven’t done a ‘clean’ install on macOS since 2003. Clean installs are of little value if you’re going to put everything (or almost everything) back. If you’re deleting 100% of your disk contents in order to restore 95% of it, then it makes more sense just to delete the 5% without the extra time and effort.

1 Like