question about non-metered bars

My unmetered bars in my project seem not to be infinite (as I expected). They seem to basically be measured according to the previous bar, with the option of expanding said bar. Is that how these work? I just found myself running out of beats in unmetered bars.

To add 100 beats, Shift-B, 100q.

Unmetered bars are not ā€œmeasured according to the previous barā€, but they donā€™t automatically change length if you add more notes in insert mode.

Either delete the old bar lines and put new ones where you want them, or insert more ā€œtimeā€ into every staff in the score, as Dan Kreider explained.

Hello all. Iā€™m trying to get rid of time at the end of an un-metered Flow. Even if I use the bars pop-over and -1000q it doesnā€™t shift (and Iā€™m sure I didnā€™t insert that amount of time). Thanks in advance for advice!

Have you tried inserting a new bar line, and then deleting the final empty bar?

Or select something in that flow and choose Write > Trim Flow (or enter ā€œtrimā€ into the Shift-B popover).

2 Likes

There are no ā€˜barsā€™ as such with non-metered music, but Iā€™ve tried yes.

If you have any barlines after that, youā€™d want to click on the later bars (unmetered though they are) and type Shift-B, -1 without the q.

Thanks, but Iā€™ve tried that. All I get is a pop-up giving me instructions about how to add a time signature if I want to add bars.

Have you tried my suggestion of trimming the flow (a few comments above, I think I replied just before you did so you may have missed it) ?

Thank you Lillie, I hadnā€™t seen that. So Iā€™ve tried it now, and the remaining bit got shorter (the rest there is now valued at 2q rather than 4q), but it hasnā€™t gone.

The common problem when you canā€™t delete everything at the end of flows is that there is something that exists at that position - if not a hidden item of some kind, then it could be that a previous item has duration that extends to the end (like a pedal line).

If signposts arenā€™t shown (View > Signposts), show them and check for hidden items indicated by signposts. Additionally look at previous items in the flow and check whether they have duration.

Iā€™ve had this happen before. Usually brute force works: add a time signature to that odd bar, or add some final barlines, orā€¦ eventually Iā€™ve been able to get rid of it, but when it happens, itā€™s odd.

Can you post the project here and let one of us take a whack at it?

Thank you. I followed Lillieā€™s suggestion and deleted a frame break. It worked, but created a new problem. Is there a way of making this final stave stretch across the page, as it does when there is a framebreak and time afterwards? Itā€™s now shrunk to one side and is squashed up. I believe this would also happen if Danā€™s suggestion worked.

Ah, solved, I found this in Engrave.

Thanks to you both for your time!

1 Like

The default setting for the horizontal justification of final systems is here - youā€™ll find that much more comfortable than moving their ends manually!

1 Like

This is the ticketā€“thanks!