Question about programmed logic

Daniel,

I am using my computer keyboard for note entry. I am writing many diads and triads. In this particular case, I am in the key signature of 3 flats (Eb). I wrote the first 3 quarter beats with no issues. However, when I got to the 4th beat, when I added the F (thinking it would stay on the top line where F was already sharp), it put it on the first space. And it then showed it as F natural (courtesy). When I moved it up the octave, it kept the natural sign. I am not wishing for a change in this department. However, this slowed me down, to have to stop and think about what was happening, then adding an F sharp again (which entered lower), the moving the octave (which then showed it without the sharp). I am really just curious, is there a way to understand why Dorico chose the 1st space F and not the top line F? I think it would help if I understand how Dorico chooses the note to be entered in what octave.

Robby
Logic Question.png

I would have expected Dorico to choose the lower octave in that situation, since the distance from B4 to F4 is smaller than the distance from B4 to F5, so it could be a bug. Chord mode does have a couple of subtleties, but in general provided you build each chord from the bottom up, the first note of the next chord should be in the octave closest to the lowest note of the previous chord.

Then it worked as designed. Doesn’t sound like a bug to me. I’ll have to keep in mind, Dorico choses the octave closest to the note in lowest position. And any alterations needing to be done, need to be accomplished before inputting notes if octave jumping will be necessary. As moving to new octave might result in the pitch entered to be that of an unaltered note.

Robby