Question about Staves and Names and Instruments

The online reference doesn’t mention this… so here is a question.

I am sure everyone is very busy, no rush, but when someone finds a free moment I’d like help.

I am entering in part of musical just for fun… I have 2 soprano singers in this particular piece. I tried to change the soprano voice on the first soprano staff to reflect the name of the character (say Sally), I renamed the player, but in the score it still said “soprano 1.” I clicked on the instrument under the player name, and hit edit name. Changed the name to Sally. When I added “Suzie” as a soprano, the name of the player showed Suzie (as I changed it), but the part in the score now showed “Sally 2”.

How do I get 2 soprano voices in the score, to show the character name?

Robby

Wow, you’re right. Try as I might, I couldn’t get around this. This is kind of a big deal for those of us who work in the theatre!

Bump.

Is this the kind of thing you’re trying to achieve?

Apologies for jumping ahead of thread starter, but if it was me who created this score, I would want to lose the 1 and the 2 and just keep the character names.

Close…

I just want it to say “Sally” and “Suzie”, no numbers, and playback on the Soprano voice sound.

Exactly. Principal characters in a music theatre show don’t need numbers, and it appears that there is no way to remove them.

That is true right at the moment, yes. We should really decide whether or not to number the players based on whether they have ended up with the same name, rather than whether they have the same underlying instrument type. This will be addressed as soon as we can take care of it.

1 Like

I know this is from a long time ago, but is there any progress made in this area? I haven’t seen anything and thought I would see if there is.

Robby

There’s not been any significant changes, except for fixing the problem whereby instruments with different names but the same underlying instrument type would incorrectly have been numbered as if they were the same.

Thanks Daniel!

I know there are so many more important things to work on (like percussion notation), but I would like to see improvements in this area when time permits

Keep up the good work!

Robby

This is an old topic.
I would like to know if progress have been made on this?

Furthermore, I am looking to override the default behavior for voices (soprano, tenor, bass and so on) to have their name in caps (ie I would like the score to show Soprano and not SOPRANO) could somebody help me on that matter?

TIA

In musical theater scores, I use the Player Name rather than the instrument name for the characters and have found that much more convenient.

Vocal staff labels appearing in all caps is due to an option in Library > Engraving Options > Staff Labels > Case, which you can change if you have Dorico Pro.

You can rename both instruments and players, and choose whether staff labels show the instrument name or the corresponding player name.

1 Like

Thank you very much Lillie! I’ve had missed this option among the numerous Dorico Pro allows one to tweak :slight_smile:

An understandable problem in a software as blessed with customization potential as Dorico :slight_smile:

Hi Daniel,
I’m still having the issue where in Dorico 5, Drum Set (basic) and Snare Drum, noting they are different instruments still accumulate incremental numbers. I guess they were bassed off the same underlying instrument type?

I’m sure its a long time since you’ve thought about this, but was this issue file based, or global Dorico based?

Are there any instructions or suggestions as a work around to this?

Are you saying that they are being labeled as

Drum Set 1
Snare Drum 2

?

Or is the “1” not there but the “2” is?

If it’s the latter then this is because a Drum Set is not actually an instrument. Rather, a kit made up of instruments eg Snare Drum. Because you would now have 2 snare drums then they will be labeled as 1 and 2. A workaround is to put a space at the beginning of one of the names.

1 Like

Hi Muz,
Thanks for chiming in.

Love your workaround. Fixed my issue in one shot!

Your description of a Kit not being an instrument but a composite of different instruments including a snare, makes sense why I’m getting the result below. The "Prelay"s are Kits renamed.

Thanks again for the assist!

1 Like

Putting one player into its own player group also disrupts the automatic instrument numbering process.

1 Like