Question about Steinberg Power Scheme and improving ASIO...

I have a question about the Steinberg Audio Power Scheme and improving ASIO performance. Whenever I add certain VSTs, I get BIG spikes in the ASIO performance meter. It’s like the meter will be less than half full, then jump to about 90%, sometimes even 100%. My computer has an i7 processor and is less than a year old.

When I enable the Steinberg Power Scheme, there’s a DRAMATIC improvement in the ASIO performance. But my question is if that uses more processing power and whatnot? I’ve read some reports from other users that the power scheme makes their system run hot and uses more power. I don’t want to put more strain than what’s necessary on my computer. Is it true that it uses more power? If it does use more power, is it not safe to leave enabled for long sessions?

I’m absolutely loving Cubase, but this ASIO performance issue that I’ve read about and experienced is quite worrying.

It does use more power as the processor ramps up to maximum but it is not a problem and nothing to worry about. I have an overclocked machine which does get very hot but lots of fans to keep it cool. If your’s is an off the shelf machine it should work at full power without any issues.

SAPS just tells you processor to run at it’s RATED speed continuously. The step-down in speed is just to conserve energy and produce less heat. There was a time when processors had one speed only (maximum speed) and ran continuously that way. There was also a time when many had a TURBO switch, which served a similar purpose, to improve performance if needed, but most computers remained in TURBO for the duration of their use.
Personally, I turn on SAPS whenever I am recording and lower the latency to the lowest setting. For playback (mixing, etc.) I have SAPS off and raise the buffer setting.
HTH
J.L.