Question. How to trash preferences?

Hello, can someone please suggest me how to properly trash my Cubase 6.5 and 7 preferences? What do I need to delete and from where?

Knowledge Base

This is a reprint from one of Marcus’s posts (Steinberg Staff). This method let’s you regenerate a new set of Preferences while keeping the old ones available…which is the safest thing to do, should you need to get at some of the xml’s that didn’t need trashing.

Please reset your Cubase by generating a new preferences folder.
To do so, you must rename the corresponding program folder mentioned below. Please note that the folder is usually hidden by default.

Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8

To access it, please open the Windows Explorer (Windows key + E) and follow these steps:
Enter “%appdata%\Steinberg” (without the quotation marks) in the address bar of the Windows Explorer and press “Enter”. This lists all available preference folders for Steinberg applications.

Please rename
“OS Disk \User<Your Username>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase x”
to
“OS Disk \User<Your Username>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase x inactive”

trashing Cubase 7 preferences is actually a lot easier than c6 as you have safe mode to start up in , but the easiest way for C7 is to move your user preference files from your program folder to the desk top and let Cubase rebuild and then if you want to keep any of your preferences then just replace them . With c6 you have to follow the route weasel has suggested :wink:

Thank you! :slight_smile: