Question regarding cursor and clips during playback

Hi!

Is it in any way possible to have WL automatically “select clip” based on cursor position during playback?

If you have a montage with multiple clips, and has Inspector “Clip Effects” window open, it shows the Plugin chain for the selected clip.
If you then start playback and the cursor cross over to next clip, and then the next clip, focus for the Inspector is still the old “selected clip”.

I therefore quite often find myself starting to adjust the wrong plugin chain, not realising it is for a clip I have already played some time ago.

What I would like to have is an option/way to choose/start playback with “Slected clip follows Cursor” or something, which makes WL automatically select the clip that is being played and thus makes Inspector displaying the “currently plaued” plugin chain.

• Is this possible, I haven’t found a way to do that!?

Regards
/Hackej

Hi!

Just to clarify, it’s the (black) Playback Pointer I am refering to rather than the (red) Cursor.

/Hackej

Not possible. And possibly not a very good idea from the tech point of view, because making plugin GUIs on/off all the time, can eat lots of CPU (eg. meters could be affected).

Hi!

Yes, agree it’s not o good thing from a performance perspective regarding plugins GUI.

But what if plugins window is not opened?
Let’s assume that if plugin window is opened focus is still on “selected clip”, but if plugins window is not open (or even being closed) WL changes to to current clip accordingly!?

Still Perfomace issue?

/Hackej

I can see the possible benefit with this suggestion. But I can also see myself being thrown off many many times, when the selected clip changed without me being aware of it. So what you describe in the first post also works the other way around…

Hi!

Yes, totally aggree.

So such a function, if it was to exist, would have to be a very clear and visible option, easy to toggle on and off.
For example as a menu option and an icon in the Inspector Clip Montage Effects window, similar to “Bypass all plugins”.

/Hackej