Questions about Cubase (midi aut., notation, s.card. ...)

Hi, i am working with Cubase Elements 7 demo with few days. And i have some questions about program.

1. midi automation:
    I can create midi automation in track view, but if i want edit automation like, volume automation, i can not. Is it possible edit midi automation like volume automation? For example, in volume automation i create points and change the position of this points. In midi automation i cant create points, but i can draw line by hand only, the line tools dont work too.

2. notation

• a) In Cubase 7.5, can i use Legato, or staccato signs in notation? If yes, have they are some connection with VSTi like dynamics? (for example, if i add staccato - change the duration notes to shorter, and if legato - longer)
  • b) Can i use more keys in one staff? (for example if i have violoncello and go above F4, it need G-key (clef), for better writing).
  • c) Is there staff view without page? I mean, if there is possible view score, where each staff have one single line and not aoutomaticly break and make another staff. (Sorry for my explanation, i dont know how to describe it in english, i hope you understand)
  1. Soundcard
    Do i need better soundcard as internal soundcard if i have in notebook? I have Sonar X2 studio, and my internal soundcard is ok for this. With Cubase 7 Elements Demo sounds fine too. I am using only VST and VSTi, no recordings, and Midi keyboard, but i draw notes by hand rather record with midi. It change something if buy for example UR22?

Hi Obloha
on item 3 Soundcard.
It depends. If you plan to play and record with a midi keyboard in real time (using the VST or VATi), you will hear a significant latency (delay) from the moment you press a key and when you hear the sound. Internal soundcards - even with ASIO4YOU driver (which often improves the latency of on board cound chips) it will still be embarrassing.
I strongly recomend you an external audio interface (USB or Firewire). With that you will have to buy some monitor speakers or some headphones too (connect to the audio interface) since the sound will now no longer be available at the notebooks phone jack.

If you only type or draw in midi events (in the piano roll or in score mode), you don’t need the audio interface.

regards

Zibin

Thank you Zibin for the explanation.

hmm, there is nobody who use notation or midi automation?

Yes, you can do things like this using Expression Maps.

• b) Can i use more keys in one staff? (for example if i have violoncello and go above F4, it need G-key (clef), for better writing).

Yes, you can change the clef mid-line freely.

• c) Is there staff view without page? I mean, if there is possible view score, where each staff have one single line and not aoutomaticly break and make another staff. (Sorry for my explanation, i dont know how to describe it in english, i hope you understand)

Yes. In Cubase this is called Edit View.

You can download the manual at the bottom of this page: Cubase 7.5 Updates and Downloads | Steinberg

Thanks, i was look into manual. That is very interesting, Cubase have full notation editor. It is shame / too bad it dont have signs as expression map. I mean if i add legato (slur), it change note duration. (I am not shure if i comment correctly “It is shame”, but google translate me this as i write, and i dont mean shame as dishonor. Maybe “too bad” is better. I am sorry but i dont know how translate my thought corretly in english).

With the midi automation, i discover this: If i create midi track, i can edit midi automation as volume automation. But if i create instrument track, i cant edit midi automation, only draw line by hand.

You can use symbols- see “Editing Articulations” (p 563 in the English Manual)

(your English is okay, that was a common use of “shame”, so no need to shame yourself :wink: )