Questions about Input Setting (VST Connections)

RME with Cubase: Inputs Issue
Hi,

I’m using RME Babyface Pro with Cubase Artist 8.

There are 4 inputs, 2 mic/line XLR inputs and 2 instrument/line TRS inputs.

I was trying to use one of the mic inputs and one instrument input simultaneously. I opened VST CONNECTIONS (F4) and added two mono inputs and selected 3 and 4. I had to choose the mono 1 (input 3 on Babyface) as default input bus or there is no signal at all. But if I do that the mic input will be no signal. I can’t use them simultaneously to record. And I tried it on my Fireface UC, got the same result. Is it normal or not? If not how can I use them to record simultaneously?

I spent my entire afternoon to search the answer but still have problem, truly sorry if this question has been asked.

Cheers
Max

Hi and welcome,

First of all, if you want to use Mic + Instrument, you should use Inputs 1 and 3, not 3 and 4.

If you cannot hear any signal on the 3rd input, are you sure, the Input is switched to the Hi-Z Mode (I expect, by “Instrument” you mean a Guitar, right?)?

Hi,

Yes I was trying to use 1 and 3, but I added 3 and 4 because there were only input 1 & 2.

I had to set the bus as default input bus to engage it (the small red speaker icon). So if there are two stereo busses: 1&2 and 3&4, and I set stereo 1 as default input bus, then stereo 2 (3&4) isn’t working. In this case, only the two XLR inputs work. And if I added 4 mono inputs 1, 2, 3 and 4, and set the input 1 as default bus input (small red speaker icon), only my mic is working and nothing from my guitar. Or set the input 3 as default, the guitar has signal but nothing from my mic, or the other 2.

So basically, no matter how many busses I add, there is only one input with the small red speaker icon getting the signal.

Cheers
Max

Hi,

Can you see all incoming signal in the Total Mix FX?

Can you see the incoming signal in the MixConsole of Cubase (red faders on the left side - Input Channels)?

So you can record/hear only the signal, which is selected as an default Input, right? Sorry, sumy question… Did you select another Input in the Input of the selected track itself?

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I returned my audio interface and just got a new one, so could not try it before.

I pressed F3 in Cubase, and there’s incoming signal, but no signal shows in each channel. But if I click the monitor button of each channel, the signal shows, and turn it off, no signal again.

Cheers
Max