Questions for UAD Apollo 8x and Nuendo users

I plan to update and replace my Audio converters soon.
I am currently working on Lynx Aurora mk1 and I am considering the possibility of moving to the new UAD Apollo 8.
I want to know how is it to work with them in relation to Nuendo. I heard that if I want to monitor while recording it is better to do it from the UAD console and not from the Nuendo itself because I might suffer latency problems, is that right?

If I have no intention of using UAD plugs because I have enough without going into this rabbit hole, is there any point in buying a UAD audio interface?

Does using the UAD mixer override the use of the input channels in the Nuendo mixer? What if I want to use third-party plug-ins before recording?

How is the stability of the Apollo with Newando in continuous work?

I would be happy for any further opinion on the matter.

thnx

In its most basic form, using a UAD Apollo interface with Nuendo is just like any other audio interface. You will be able to use inputs and outputs as you see fit for your specific setup via direct native ASIO (Windows) or Core Audio (macOS) drivers.

From there, the Apollo gives you the added benefits of:

• Built in DSP processing for running any of the UAD plugins. This is entirely optional and up to you to decide if you want to purchase and use them.
  • UAD plugins can be used all realtime input monitoring, realtime recording, or realtime processing of audio track playback within the Nuendo mixer. Just like you would any other VST plugin. The processing is just handled by the DSP chips in the Apollo interface instead of using native CPU resources.
  • The Apollo Console software is strictly for monitoring and mixing the realtime inputs of all the interface input channels, and for monitoring to your speakers (or another external monitoring device). Think of it as a “virtual” analog mixer for all the instruments directly connected to the inputs on the Apollo. This allows you to setup a “draft” mix of how things should sound before you even start recording. Again, this is entirely optional and not required to be used. If you only choose to use the input mixer on your DAW prior to recording, then you can do that instead. the Console software mixer does NOT override or interfere with the mixer in your DAW at all. So you keep the two entirely separate and no need for any confusion.
  • Stability has been rock solid. I’ve been using (4) Apollo 16 units in a multi-chain setup with Nuendo since 2013 with absolutely 0 issues in operation and stability. I’ve used them both on Windows and on macOS. I will say that my experience on macOS using Thunderbolt 2/3 vs Firewire on Windows has been slightly more reliable. I believe Thunderbolt on Windows also has similar reliability, but you need to make sure you read up on all the specific requirements on the UAD support site regarding using Thunderbolt on Windows. Thunderbolt on Mac is entirely plug-n-play with 0 setup time.
1 Like