Questions of a Sibelius User

Hi guys,
i’m quite new to Dorico and just tried out a couple of things. I still have to get used to the shortcuts and other differences but i thinks it’s a great piece of software and like a lot of the features! Nonetheless i ran into some issues and i wonder, if there are similar functions for these Sibelius features in Dorico:

• Inserting multi-staff dynamics: is there a way that i can create dynamics at THE FIRST NOTE of any staff in a given selection rather than on the beginning of the selection (like creating multi-Staff-Slurs). Same should work for cresc./decresc. I tried this with the Popover function. I know i could use the filter “Notes” but it should work without this step. Creating cresc. and dynamics mark on rests doesn’t make much sense?

• Is there a faster way inserting intervals as to press Ctrl-I for every note? Number/Shift+Number in Sib. is very handy.

• Want to delete - say in a 4/4 bar the beats 3 and 4? It should only change the deleted notes into Rests, not shift the following notes forward into the bar.

Last a question not related to Sibelius:

• When i want to switch the selection between different dynamic marks of the same staff, i can use the left/right arrows. But only as long as there is no cresc./decresc. lines. In this case i can’t go further, and sometimes even back. Am i missing something?

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the forum.

I’ve assigned the interval popover to Q (since I don’t use chord mode). It’s easier… q3, Enter, etc.

Want to delete - say in a 4/4 bar the beats 3 and 4? It should only change the > deleted notes into Rests> , not shift the following notes forward into the bar.

You must have Insert Mode turned on. Press “I.”

Welcome to the forum frave!

Multi-staff dynamics that automatically position the dynamic on the first note: I don’t think this is possible in Dorico. You can input dynamics on multiple staves at once by extending the caret to those staves, but that will input dynamics at the same position, regardless of whether or not there are notes at that position on the corresponding staves.

Inserting intervals: Shift-I and entering the intervals is the main way, but if you only want to add intervals to one position, you can press Q for chord input when the caret is active and add notes by pressing the corresponding letters; they’ll all get added at the same position, going upwards in pitch.

Deleting notes: this should replace the notes with rests - did you have Insert mode active when you did this? You can activate/deactivate Insert mode by pressing I (or clicking the I-like button in the Notes toolbox on the left of the window) - Insert mode pulls notes forward if you remove notes or pushes notes backwards when you input notes. It’s a useful tool, but not something you always want (as I suspect in your example).

Navigation: if you can’t move right/left through the selected item, you can press Tab to switch to a different type of item and then continue navigating through those, e.g. you could switch to notes. I’m not sure about the specific case of immediate vs gradual dynamics though.

Hi dankreider and Lillie, thanks for the fast responses!

Ok, i see.
@Dorico-Developers: Please consider implementing the possibility i described in “Inserting multi-staff dynamics”. It’s extremely helpful and you are incredible fast inserting dynamics this way. I think not only for me an absolute must-have. With the rest of the answers i could live :slight_smile:

Another question: I have a staff in which i wrote 2 voices, sometimes they play divisi (completely different voices or only different notes in a chord), sometimes they play unisono. Now i want to select only the first voice “for deletion”, that means it should select all divisi-parts of the first voice but leave the unisono parts alone. In this way i can quickly delete the first voice from the staff and hitting DEL, creating a clean part for only the second voice. Same shoudl work for the first voice, selecting and deleting the second voice. In Sib. this was called “Select Player 1 (for deletion)” and “Select Palyer 2 (for deletion)”.

Dorico doesn’t have filters that are identical to the “player n for deletion” filters in Sibelius, but in general you should hopefully need them less often, as Dorico has more sophisticated features for writing divisi music and indeed for producing condensed scores.