Questions on Saving a Project Template

Two things:

1. It seems that when I did a Cubase maintenance upgrade it blew away my saved user project templates. I am assuming I must have saved it to the default location: C:\Users\Audio\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 8_64\Project Templates. Can someone confirm that an upgrade will remove user saved templates in this location?

2. I am a bit confused by the documentation on saving templates - “PREREQUISITE Remove all clips from the Pool before you save the project as a template. This ensures that references to media data from the original project folder are deleted.” If I remove all the clips, then I will not have the clips for the project I am saving as a template. What am I missing here??? I assume I need to save template first with all files. Open new project with the files, and then delete from the pool, and then save the template again without the files. Does this sound right, or some simpler procedure?

Thanks,
Mike

Hi,

1. From which version exactly to which version did you update? What Sindows version exactly do you use, please?

2. It depends, if you want to have this/these audio file(s) in the template and then in all projects, or not. For example if you want to use your own click sound in the Audio track, you want to use (and keep) it in the template, of course.

Thanks for the reply.

1) From which version exactly to which version did you update? What Sindows version exactly do you use, please?

Need to update my profile again…Windows 7 Home Premium. I think the issue occurred when upgrading from 8.0.0 to 8.0.10. Or possibly from 8.0.10 to 8.0.20. I am getting back into recording mode again and just want to make sure this doesn’t happen again. I am looking at this a bit more now, and it looks like you cannot save a template to any other directory. However, you can create sub-directories under that directory.

UPDATE: Just jogging my memory a bit. I had issues when I upgraded to 8.0.20 and worked with support to stabilize my Cubase. I recall having to remove some files along the way and it may have been in this area. So, if you use templates and haven’t seen issues when upgrading, I will assume it was a one time issue for me. Thanks!

2) It depends, if you want to have this/these audio file(s) in the template and then in all projects, or not. For example if you want to use your own click sound in the Audio track, you want to use (and keep) it in the template, of course.

Assuming I don’t want to save any audio, then it seems like I need to do the procedure I described. Would be nice to have some options to make this a bit easier.