Questions regarding setting up expression maps

I’m starting to create my own expression maps for libraries that don’t provide these for Dorico. One of the first is VSL Synchronized solo strings.
Most of the things work however I struggle configuring my map for the different staccato samples.
I’m looking to configure:

• Short notes (C0) → Staccato (C#1)
  • Sul ponticello (G0) → Staccato (C1)
  • Sul tasto (G#0) → Staccato (C1)
  • Harmonics (F#0) → Staccato (C1)

In the conditions I can only see note lengths but I don’t know how to trigger the specific staccato for the specific technique.

I also notice that certain techniques aren’t triggered as it seems Dorico handles these internally?
For example portamento, glissando and tremolo. I have specific entries in the expression maps for these, but Dorico doesn’t trigger these but they do sounds accurate. I assume this is Dorico doing some things to it? However they are part of the sample library so I want these to be used.

For your staccato problem, you have to add the techniques : pont + stacc…
For the techniques Dorico triggers automatically, you need to create new playing techniques to trigger your sounds. Say a new playing technique called “minor trill”, associated with your sound. You then can add a normal trill from ornements to have the graphic features and then disable playback, otherwise your trill sound will be double trilling. It doesn’t work with every automatic simulation triggered by Dorico. Since some of them cannot be off playback. There’s also techniques that might trigger problems in your maps., like accents, no matter if you define it in your map or not.

I use this library and have written my own Expression Maps for it. As a first point, I’d say it would be easier to set Dorico to have middle C as C4 as that’s the VSL default so they match – not C3 as you have. On Conditions, the only thing that can be programmed at the moment is the note length. The staccato examples you have given I also have in my EM but not using Conditions as it makes no sense here. You are best using several patches with different note lengths for the automation. You can see how I have programmed this under the NoteLength section but of course you can chose a different range if desired.

VSL Solo Strings Violin 1.zip (3.0 KB)

A standard unmeasured 3 slash tremolo will use the correct patch (E1,C2) so I’m not quite sure what you mean here. The only glissandi in the Solo Strings I’m aware of are for a full octave so I haven’t thought it worthwhile programming them. Dorico does not yet support gliss internally. Basically, unless you find the sampled octave gliss useful, you’re rather stuck here unless you want to try and emulate something with pitch bend-- in my opinion it’s not worth it.

As for portamento, you need to create your own playback technique and then use the (D1,C#2, F2 or F#2 for Zigane) for playback. You must disable Dorico’s internal playback here in the Properties panel and so that the port doesn’t show twice in the score, hide the new portamento technique you’ve created.

David, are the full set of your solo strings EMs posted on here somewhere? Thanks!

I think there is something on the Expression Maps thread but it’s almost certainly out of date. Below are the current versions which could perhaps be copied to the appropriate repository
VSL Solo strings.zip (17.2 KB)

Thank you so much!