re midi filtering using guitar synth question

I know this may seem elementary but I’ve searched and not found an answer yet.
I recently started using a vst pluging Midi Guitar to record midi note, but it’s an audio to midi convertor and while it’s pretty damn good at tracking, it does leave behind some midi garbage , in the form of mostly inaudible low velocity notes. This is fine as long as I’m not playing something monophonic, then it will prematurely stop notes form ringing out or other glitchy sounds. Is there a way to filter out notes that are below a certain velocity so they are recorded in the first place?
I’m sorry if this is elementary or obvious, but I can’t seem to figure out where or how to do this. I’ve been using Cubase for a long time, but have never had a need to do this before, since I was using a keyboard controller that tracked exactly the way it’s supposed to.

Go to: MIDI, Functions, Delete Notes, then set minimum velocity and/or length. Notes below the minimum are deleted…not sure if this is good enough as I think you want a filter as you record? That sounds like something that should be in the sensitivity settings of the plugin…assuming it has some. What is it BTW, I’d be interested to try it out.

If this is a plugin converting the audio signal to MIDI probably the best way to weed out low velocity noise would be a hardware Noise Gate?

You can filter out a lot – aftertouch, pitchbend and short notes. As far as having the instrument itself track better, that’s, of course, going to be also related to the kind of MIDI pick-up you have. Planachist’s suggestion is good, but you can also check the List Editor to see if you’re getting aftertouch and pitch bend data. Those can be filtered out, or, perhaps, just not transmitted at all by the instrument. Auto-quantize might help depending on the part you’re recording as well. I have a Casio Midi Guitar, which never tracked particularly well, but is sometimes helpful for MIDI recording. Each string can be assigned to its own MIDI channel and it has a few operating modes including having each string at a fixed MIDI velocity. It’s old and primitive in comparison to the high end controllers available at the top of the heap today. Good luck. :slight_smile:

No MIDI pickup required for the MIDI Guitar program, use regular guitar pickups.

Pretty slick program if you need it.

This is the MIDI Guitar from Jam Origin, I assume…and I think that’s what the OP was referencing too? Shall have to give it a go.

I found this link, but I’ve not yet looked at it or the program. It looks really interesting on the page.

http://www.jamorigin.com/docs/daw/#toggle-id-7

If you’re converting audio to midi and want a “guitar like” sound, then, obviously you’ll be wanting to use guitar-like “pluck” patches, so settings will have fast attack and perhaps some release time to give an open string sound and so on. Any good guitar-like ADSR enveloped patch should work with this and serve as a jumping off point for your final sounds, which, of course, can ultimately be completely different than the one you used to record with.

As far as tracking the audio input goes and doing real-time conversion to midi, I see two basic issues, latency and signal shaping. For the latter, you might want to use compression and gating, envelop shaping and whatever sort of dynamics processing helps the program to read and hence, I assume, to track better. For the former, latency. if possible I think using outboard processing to reduce computer strain will help to present the Cubase audio input with a signal more ideally shaped to make the program work at its best, regardless of how that sounds as a guitar sound. It also may be best to use a good amount of delay compensation.

Thanks for mentioning this program. I didn’t know it existed. :slight_smile: