RE: Wav 44.1k / 48k (import / export)

Hi folks,

I have decided to open a fresh thread here rather than tagging it on to an earlier question of last week. I hope this is permissible.

A friend created, for me, some synth-brass samples on his Oberheim vintage keyboard. I received them a couple of days ago and have only tried one of them out so far.

He provided me with a continuous Wav. rendered at 48kHz and 16-bit (for each of the 8 x samples). I experienced some problems along the way specifically relating to the file and Cubase, hence this thread. The question is actually quite basic, and I really can’t believe I’m even asking it! But I don’t ever remember it happening to me before.

And so, I imported one of the continuous Wav. brass sample files into Cubase, and as far as I could tell the system was automatically the reducing the file from 48kHz to 44.1kHz?! Could this be true?, and is there a setting to disable this from happening, please?

(Please see attach. This is the only dialogue I’m ever presented with. And I check the box stating: “Sample Rate 48.000 to 44.100”.)

Many thanks in advance as always…

Best,

Paul David Seaman

Sample Rate

… upon inspecting the Pool properties, one can see that the once was “48K” file has been reduced to “44.1K”! - unless my interpretation is vastly amiss? :flushed:

While it is ok to have files with different bit depth in the same project, the sample rate must be the same for all files involved.

Actually, the project is set up to a specific sample rate. Menu Project → Project Setup.
grafik

Unfortunately the dialog suggests that this is for recording only, while in fact it is the master sample rate for the project.
Change it to 48kHz and the file will not be resampled on import.

1 Like

Hi Johnny,

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond here. Thanks very much indeed.

I will investigate your kind advice over the next couple of days…

Best,

Paul

1 Like

Hi Johnny,

OK, great - I think I am onto your kind suggestions now, thanks!

(Please see attach.) I have set the dialogue too: 48kHz and 16-bit, so that should resolve the issue.

But what do you set ‘Volume Max’ to, please? It is currently set to ‘+6’. Would it be better at ‘zero’ or even lower, please?

Much appreciated as always.

Paul

(Johnny - second screen-grab):

Johnny,

Do just leave this dialogue as it is, please?

Many thanks mate. :grin:

Project_3

Volume max. defines the maximum setting for your volume faders. +6dB means that if you push a volume fader all the way up you’ll raise volume by 6dB.

I just checked in the Pool and the Wav has now retained its 48.kHz. THANKS! :grin:

That value determines how much above zero your track fader can go. It’s mostly about compatibility so if you’re starting new projects just leave it at the maximum value.

Also, don’t be afraid of the manual, it’s there for a reason. It’ll explain everything in the project setup dialog.

1 Like

If sample rate is greyed out it means that the files sample rate is identical to the project’s sample rate = nothing has to be changed.

1 Like

“That value determines how much above zero your track fader can go. It’s mostly about compatibility so if you’re starting new projects just leave it at the maximum value.”

Hi Mattias,

OK, cheers. I was worried it might cause issues with ‘digital-clipping’. I’ll leave it as it is then, like you suggest.

Many thanks!

“If sample rate is greyed out it means that the files sample rate is identical to the project’s sample rate = nothing has to be changed.”

Cheers Johnny,

That’s really helpful man.

Paul

“Also, don’t be afraid of the manual, it’s there for a reason. It’ll explain everything in the project setup dialog.”

Hi Mattias,

YES, you are correct. I did actually scour through tens of You Tube videos but could not find anything specific. The problem I have with the manual is that I am unfamiliar with much of the ‘DAW’ terminology. Meaning, I don’t know which exact ‘term’ I am looking for in the index (all I know is the nature of the issue I am experiencing - if that makes any sense! :rofl:).

Cheers again,

Paul

1 Like

Yeah that’s a fair concern or obstacle I think. But make it a habit to search for the dialog box you’re in once you’re in it, and just read through all of the options even if they’re not ones you’re looking for at the moment. Just so you continuously learn. So once you’re in the Project Setup dialog because of sample rate settings you might as well open up the manual for it and read up on the other items… when you have time of course.

Just friendly advice. Everyone benefits from being more self-sufficient for the times when other people aren’t around.

Anyway, good you’re getting things sorted.

1 Like

Hi Mattias,

OK, understood. I really appreciate you taking the time to contribute again.

Well, I am learning Sibelius also, for around six years now. I spent so much time on the latter over the past two years that, sadly, I ended up forgetting much of what I had previously learned on Cubase! But I wanted to start learning about cutting up samples etc. and so I am back on the Cubase boat again.

I actually suffer with dyslexia and spent years not telling anyone. But now I’m more open about it because it does have an impact on my learning-curve. It will often take me ten attempts to get something, but once I have it I’m usually OK then. I’m also aged 55 so you might say I’m something of a late-starter.

Paul

Bummer. A lot of us who do not have dyslexia keep forgetting that some people have it so we should try to remember to write clearly. I can imagine that in order to understand it can take a few times to read the same text, or maybe reading different explanations of the same thing.

Anyway, I’m sure many here will try to help as much as they can.

Good for you! Keep learning. It’s how the brain stays young.

1 Like

Cheers, Mattias. Will chat later on tonight or tomorrow matey… :grin:

Hi Mattias, I have sorted out my folder-structuring now, and so I’m going to start slicing the complete Wav files, and then applying the ‘bounce’ function… Cheers, Paul