Real time MIDI recording: input on one staff, with voices detection

tl;dr: can’t real time record to one specific staff.

Right now, if you record on a grand staff, you get the very useful voices detection. However, if you want to record on one staff only, you can’t do it.
You can activate the input mode and record to a specific voice, but this means that you don’t get the voices detection, because you are indeed recording into a specific voice.
This makes the very useful voices detection feature useless, sadly, if you are writing on the grand staff.
Yes, with Q (Chords) I can add to the already existing notes and have voices detection, but due to the goddamn split point, the result is a non-recoverable disaster.

2 Likes

Record to a single staff instrument, then use Move (Alt-N/M) to relocate your notes to the appropriate staff on the Grand Staff. Simple!

That’s a dirty workaround for what’s an important missing feature. More importantly, I don’t have a single staff instrument in a solo piano piece…

“Your opinion” on both counts.

Add one, and then delete it after you have got all your notes played in.

Face it: some do not recognize that if we satisfied only the purists, Dorico would still not be able to do half of what it does.
Thank heaven Dorico introduces features as they are workable and then (if necessary) improves on them later.

1 Like

Maybe you misinterpreted the tone of my messages, but obviously, everything one suggests is meant to be his personal opinion and his experience with using the software, I wasn’t hating the software. :+1:t2:
Just saying that the suggested workaround is indeed just a workaround, and I would still like to have the feature by default.

For what it’s worth, I fully support this request. Even though I’m a pianist, I usually record each hand separately to improve accuracy and would love to be able to use voice detection. Swapping between single- and double-staff instruments isn’t really an option when dealing with this several times a day.

Another related request:
I wish selecting the content of a single staff in a multi-staff instrument would tell Dorico to record into said staff. With the current behavior, I have to enter Note input mode before pressing record. Sounds simple enough, but for some reason, I keep forgetting this step and regularly record long passages only to realize I have overwritten the contents of the other staff. Obviously user error, but after making the same mistake over and over again for several years now, I wish there was a mechanism to prevent it. Thanks for considering!

2 Likes

I wish selecting the content of a single staff in a multi-staff instrument would tell Dorico to record into said staff. With the current behavior, I have to enter Note input mode before pressing record.

And even if you do, it only records into one single voice, and you get all the annoying ties which is a pain to fix.

Swapping between single- and double-staff instruments isn’t really an option when dealing with this several times a day.

I’ve just found a good enough way, though; I assume you are comfortable with layouts - in case I’ll expand upon. So, you create a new player with a new instrument, “Melodica” is a good choice, because it’s one staff only; On Play view, assign it to the sound of piano, so it’s really like a second piano, using the same VST in the VST rack. Then, in the full score layout, you uncheck this new instrument, so it only shows the piano. In the melodica layout, instead, check all instruments, and rename it to something like “Piano + Instrument for recording”.
You can then switch between the two layouts from the top-down menu at the top, and voilà.
Yes, you still have to copy-paste, but you’ll have the sound of the piano and you’ll get voices detection, and you will be able to edit the score without showing the other instruments.

This will do for now, until Dorico has a click-on-a-staff-and-record-on-that-staff-only feature.