Real time midi recording to a video

Hi,
trying real time midi recording to a short movie, but during the recording the scenes of the movie don’t follow my midi inputs… (the movie doesn’t begin while the playhead goes on through the bars)… what’s wrong?
Ppg

I’m not sure what might be wrong. I just tried this myself and an attached video certainly does play as I would expect while I am recording. Does the video play back normally during playback?

…sure the video plays back normally.
the fact is that when I click record from the very beginning (bar 1) , the scenes don’t move ; if I click from the second bar (with “+”) the movie scenes jump and begin several bars further on. I checked the fps (25) for video and project and seems ok. I tried with different short movies format (mp4,.mov)…still the same problem.
Thanx in advance for your help
Ppg

When you say:

if I click from the second bar (with “+”) the movie scenes jump and begin several bars further on.

can you perhaps include a screenshot that shows exactly what you mean?

–That’s how it looks like when I start the recording: I can hear the audio going on, the red playhead moving, but not see the scenes going on.

–That’s how it looks like when I stop the recording(…even when I have notes recorded and notated during the recording): The green playhead moved but still the scenes no…

So that seems to show that the video never plays back, since the same frame is shown at the playhead’s position in the second screenshot versus the first. Can you try a different video file, in case the issue is with this specific video file?

…Same problem with other files. to my opinion, It looks like that there is no connection between frames and playhead…

Well, that’s definitely not true, at least not in general. I tried, for example, this file and find that it works exactly as I would expect.

…I mean, that how I do it , it seems to have no connection…not Dorico generally.
Tried even with your file…same problem.
Maybe I need to check?change?.programme something?

I don’t know what you could change! If you attach the video, then simply play back, does the video play along with the score?

I am having the same problem. I tried with your sample video and it plays back fine, I can stroll using the num + and - and it will follow the green playhead but when I go to record midi to the video the video freezes. Another video I tried it was playing the audio but the audio was out of sync with the green playhead. it had jumped forward 3-5 seconds

My colleague John brought a problem to my attention with video sync and real-time recording a day or two ago. Due to some internal wrangling of time domains, when you start recording, the video will jump forwards by 20 seconds and play from that point, which is obviously incorrect. We will fix this in the next release. I’m sorry for the inconvenience caused in the meantime.

2 Likes

What about the video freezing on a single frame while the audio plays?

That’s not something that we see in general. Does that happen with you for all video files, or only some? At every point in the flow, or only at specific points?

It only happens when I record from the start. If count in is on the video freezes and doesn’t start. If count in isn’t on it seems to do what you were explaining, jumping forward 20 seconds. It happens with all video files I tried, (MOV, MP4).

Yes, we’re aware of the issue with video playback not starting when you start real-time recording from the very start of the flow. As a workaround, you could try adding an extra dummy bar at the start of the flow temporarily, then start your recording from bar 2, though you will still experience the 20s displacement until we are able to fix that problem.

Hi Daniel,
I’m sorry to jump in on this thread, but I’m wondering if there was any success in solving the video sync issue mentioned here? I’m using 4.3.30 (I believe this is the latest update for D4?)
I sadly haven’t opened Dorico for a while, but I do not remember it being an issue before.
Using the video sync alongside a tempo track exported from my daw to arrange parts for recorded projects, the 20 second jump ahead whilst live inputting parts is quite an inconvenience :slight_smile:
Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum, @musicbytully. There’s no update for Dorico 4.3.30 that addresses this issue; in Dorico 5.0.10 the behaviour is the same as in Dorico 4.3.30, though we are planning to address this in a future Dorico 5.x update.

Thankyou @dspreadbury
I’ve come up with a workaround for now, and it plays back in sync, so life aint all bad!

I’ve run into this issue in version 5.