Real world difference between M4 ipad with 8 gig vs 16 gig?

I’m looking at upgrading from the gen 4 ipad with 4 gigs of ram. It looks like the latest ipads come in 8 gig unless you get 1T or 2T of storage in which case you get 16 gig. I have no need for all that storage. The only consideration would be if the 16 gig of ram makes a difference. But then I watched this video and it seems like in almost every test he did, the 16 gig version had very minimal improvements:

It seems to have something to do with how apps on the iPad are often really only made to make use of the 8 gigs.

So I’m wondering if anyone at Steinberg or maybe in wild has any direct experience on the differences I should expect between the two models?

Unless you’ve got an $600 that you really can’t find any other use for, I really wouldn’t bother.

As long as you’ve got 8Gb (“more than 4Gb”), you can use Iconica Sketch on the iPad.

Hmm…I can use iconica. So I looked again and my current ipad (the 12.9 pro) has 6 gig of ram. I’m having what I think are ram issues (I very HEAVILY use Goodnotes for just about everything and have thousands of pages of annotated scores, notes, audio recordings, etc there.) Goodnotes is only taking up 6 Gig of space, but I’ve started to notice lag when writing and I downloaded a device monitor app and it was showing me using 91% ram). So that’s making me think maybe I do actually need 16 gig-not so much for Dorico but for Goodnotes.

1 Like

Apps that give you data to worry about will always give you data to worry about.

iPadOS, like macOS, is designed to use ALL the RAM. The OS will actively try to use as much RAM as it can.

There are M1 Macs with 8Gb of RAM that can run Logic with 1000 plug-ins, while Finder and Safari are also loaded with windows. iPadOS is severely limited.

Of course, you can test the iPad for 14 days, and return it if it doesn’t perform as you expect.

2 Likes

I was having issues that seemed like ram issues and so I downloaded the app to confirm-not the other way around. If you watch the video that I linked to in my first post you’ll see where ram usage didn’t seem to affect things in a way that he expected. In the video there is discussion of how iOS limits ram usage of apps. That’s what prompted the question.

iPads are crazy. Yet I have a 7th gen basic iPad. Nothing fancy. I just use Jump Desktop to use the full version of Elements and avoid paying for it twice, plus my iPad RAM doesn’t make it so I can’t use Iconica Sketch.
https://jumpdesktop.com/

I bought the new iPad Pro last month with 8 gb ram, and Dorico works fine with Iconica sketch. Large orchestra scores like the Rite of Spring sound pretty good, although some other instruments like piano sound dry and tinny.

1 Like

Pianoteq works well with iOS and can be downloaded for free if you already have the computer version.

2 Likes