Recalculate spacing after offsetting position of element?

I’m engraving a piano score and I have a system with:

• Right hand playing chords/octaves that have some notes below middle C
  • Some dynamic text

Therefore Dorico automatically adjusts the spacing between the staves to make room for all of this.

Now, sometimes, vertical space could be saved by moving a dynamic very slightly to the left or right. If I want to do this I’m finding I have to adjust the spacing between the staves by hand after adjusting the position of the text.

Is there a way to have the Dorico spacing algorithm take into account the offset I make to the dynamic text starting position?

Or by extension, have it consider offsets made to other items?

The easiest way is probably to use the dynamic’s Beat-relative position property. If set to Before it should both shift the dynamic and close up the space (assuming that shunting the dynamic to the left will allow the staff spacing to be tightened). There’s nothing to stop you from then dragging the dynamic left or right in Engrave mode further, if necessary.

1 Like

I just tried that and it partially works. It does save the vertical space, but it also expands the previous beat horizontally to make room for the dynamic text, which is an undersirable side effect.

However, thanks to your suggestion I found that I can change the Text alignment property to Align optical center with left of note-head which in this particular case solves the issue without any “collateral damage”.

I’m still interested in knowing if there is a way to apply more specific offsets to item positions before final spacing is calculated. It could end up being helpful.

Hopefully these properties will be enough for now.

Thank you for your help!