ReConform function is corrupting my project file

Hi… Please help!

Saving my project after performing the Reconfrom, after closing the program I can’t reopen my project.

Error message reads “Invalid Project File PROJECT NAME.npr”!

I’m doing audio post on a commercial and got the new and shorter cut of the pictures I’ve tried to use the ReConform function to speed things up.

Using 2x EDL’s to generate a change EDL I’ve previewed, edited some TC’s and then processed the ReConform, which got me 80% of the way there followed by some tedious fine editing to get all the audio all the way there. I saved the project and shut down for the night. Then next day I booted up, opened Nuendo and attempted to load my project file which appeared to be corrupted and couldn’t be opened on mine (or any other machine running N10.3 on win or Mac with the above error message showing when attempting to open it.

I repeated the whole process of reconforming and manual editing again (this time saving 10x iterations using save as new version as I progressed through the project. At completion I render screener for client, closed project and closed Nuendo. Later I returned to open the project apply minor notes from client… Project File Corrupted again. Not just the final one, but all 10 iterations saved AFTER the point of applying the ReConform. Every single one corrupted.

Having lost my work twice, I’ve had to do the same job a 3rd time. This time I rendered out my deliverables before exiting the application, not before Printing the whole session as WAV’s and an AAF in case. I can’t bill all that lost time to the client.

I’ve used ReConform successfully quite a bit very recently.

I’ve spent most of today trying to drill down to the root cause.

1 - this issue does not occur with other projects when performing the same steps (2x Picture Edits, 2x corresponding EDLs used to Generate Change EDL, Perform ReConform, Save, Close App, Re-Open Project).

2 - The issue is not with the audio assets of the project - I’ve tested various permutations right down to bare minimum almost empty project - 2x vids & 2x EDLs - no audio files.

Both films (old and new cut) start at TC 01:00:00:00

In order to ensure I can preview the reconform (check frame accuracy of TC in/out points in the preview panel for each cut) I sync my project start to 01:00:00:00 by inserting timecode at cursor. Once happy with the previews I perform the reconform. From that point onwards, the project is corrupted, but there is nothing to indicate it until you close the project and open it again. It won’t. This is absolutely consistent.

However, if I leave the project timeline out of sync so my project starts at 00:00:00:00 and film is at starting at the same “physical position” on my timeline then follow the same process the project saves, closes and reopens fine! But it’s not practical as I can’t check the validity and amend edl TC info prior to performing the reconform.

At this point I’m thinking it’s got to be something to do with the EDL’s?? I’m really concerned that if I can’t find the root cause, it could happen to me at any point in the future and I wouldn’t know until it was too late. I really can’t have my confidence undermined with tools depend on and can’t afford to burn time doing the same job multiple times.

Has anyone had this before? What to do? Help!!!

Nuendo 10.3.0 build 184 (May 19th 2020)
OSX 10.14.6 - Mojave
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) 2GB AMD Radion Graphics Card
Quad Core Intel Core i7 @ 2.5 GHz
1TB SSD / 16 GB RAM
RME Babyface Firmware v225 / Driver 3.18
Avid Artist Control & Artist Transport - Firmware 1.3.9.0 / EuControl 20.6.0.11

Hi,

I have the same problem here today.
very straight forward reconform session, preview is very good. save close renders the session invalid.
I’m not sure I understood you workaround.

I will try things with this in mind… if you can clarify it would save some time :stuck_out_tongue:
Thanks !

— EDIT
so I managed to reopen the project after reconform.
I did what I understood from your post :

• start time session 00:00:00:00
  • I put the movie at TC:00 although not sync with the timeline.
  • I loaded my old and new edl in reconfrom but applied -1:00:00:00: offset so edl would also start at 00:00:00:00,
    reconformed, saved reopen. Now I manually move the movie to match the shots.
    So far looks like it is working :stuck_out_tongue:
    But yes not a process you can rely on. Still not convinced by this feature.

Please send me the EDLs and the un-touched project file (before your attempt to reconform) and I can check it on Wednesday. That may be to late to actually help but still.