Record Audio From Halion Sonic Se 2

Hello!

I’ve assigned instruments from the Halion Sonic rack to various outputs, but can’t seem to figure out how to record te audio.

I’ve added audio tracks, but selecting or assigning an “audio source” is a challenge for me. Where do I go from there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!

Halion is a VST instrument used with midi, not audio. You can use it as a sound when playing back midi recorded on a midi or instrument track.

Generally speaking…
Add an instrument track. Set up and assign your midi input (maybe a USB powered keyboard). Set Halion as the VSTI. Choose a sound from Halion. Record/playback your midi.

That’s the steps necessary from the highest level. Check out the operation manual for more detail but feel free to ask more questions if necessary. :wink:

Regards. :sunglasses:

Thanx for the response! I got as far as recording and playing back the parts, but i’m quite sure we can record the output to audio tracks.
I guess, I really need to RTFM. :laughing:

I’ll definitely feed back to you.

Maybe I’m not understanding your question…

You can record your midi track, assign the Halion sound to it then “Render in Place” to an audio track. “Render in Place” is easy. Just highlight the midi part(s) you want to render then go to Edit>Render in Place.

The only other way I know to get midi to audio is to mixdown the midi to an audio file then import it back into CB. Basically you would do this if you wanted to import the audio file to a different project/location. Otherwise the “Render in Place” is the way to go.

I suppose you could do a Rube Goldberg setup by connecting cables from your audio interface output to the audio input but… latency issues galore? I don’t know as I never tried it.

Again, maybe I am misunderstanding something here. If so, sorry.

Regards :sunglasses:

The routing in Cubase is a bit odd at first and everyone hits this issue. There’s some good video on youtube showing how to record the MIDI you’ve placed on MIDI tracks as Audio on Audio tracks.

Here’s some basic methods to record your MIDI tracks as Audio.

First, create a Group Track and route the output of your synth to the input of the group track.

Second, create an Audio Track and route the Group Ouput above to the Audio input of the Audio Track.

Record on the Audio track and it will record the audio out of the MIDI track.

Check and mess around with the Recording Options, hit F2 and you’ll find them on the bar. Mess around with the different options and get used to how “Lanes” work. I find using punch in and out easiest but the other modes all have their uses. Just mess around with the modes and you’ll see how things work.

I’m not sure what version of Cubase you have, but If you have “Render In Place” that is probably the simplest way to turn your MIDI tracks into Audio Tracks. Just check and mess around with your “render settings.”

Also, keep in mind that Audio tracks can be time-based or in “musical mode.” Mess around with that and the various stime stretching and rendering options, and, of course, check the operations manual for detailed information on all this.

Lastly, do check out how the Export Audio Mixdown works and mess around with that. Sometimes you don’t need to move your midi tracks to individual audio tracks, you can get it all happening in MIDI, add audio tracks for any live recorded parts – vocals, guitars, etc. – and then do a final Audio Mixdown export to create your finished mix ready for a Mastering stage.

Good luck with this. It confused the heck out of me at first but there’s good engineering logic working here and once you get the basics working, you’ll understand better how this complex recording and music creations machine, Cubase, works. It is powerful and worth the time spent learning all its ins and outs (pun fully intended) :slight_smile:

Hey, Stephen57!

Render-in-place will do the trick for now. I’ll keep fiddling around. :slight_smile:

Thanx!

You’re very welcome! :slight_smile:

Render In Place was one of the key features that drew me to Cubase Pro 8 at the end of May this year. Good luck.