Record from Voicelive3X in Cubase Elements 10 under Windows

Hi, my Cubase Elements 10 on Windows does not identify sounds from my Voicelive3 Extreme (VL3X). I “normally” work with the Scarlet 18i8 (Gen1) as an audio interface. I plugged the VL3X (additionally to the Scarlett) via USD directly into the Computer. The same way as if I would do a firmware update for VL3. I assume I did all the settings in VL3X appropriately (DAW tracking and so on). Until now Cubase does not recognize the VL3X. I only have the Scarlett to select as an audio source.

Any idea how to solve this?
Thanks in advance.
Andreas

The VL3X doesn’t have ASIO drivers, so you’d have to connect it via the Windows drivers and let Cubase connect through those. But that will likely produce too much latency for recording.

I haven’t done this myself, but you may be to use something like ASIO4ALL to cobble an alternative ASIO connection to your VL3X resulting in potentially lower latency.

Or alternatively, just wire the analog outputs from your VL3X to the analog inputs of your Scarlet and use it the way you always do in Cubase. - That’s how I route my VL3.

Thanx Nico5, I also put the XLS outputs from the VL3X into the Scarlett when I started out. However, that brought no good results esp. for the guitar. I went for 2x mono to split voice and guitar. This is the explanation they gave me on the TC Helicon forum.

“Hi, please consider that the VL3X performs a ADC like your sound card therefore if you set up your signal as you mentioned you will suffer form over signal conversion and will have several issues on the signal arriving to your DAW. My suggestion is to connect your VL3X directly to your computer via USB…”

It seems things do not work out with VL3 and Cubase as nicely as I was hoping.

However, thanx a lot!!
Andreas

Can’t you take the full stereo output from both - i.e. use 4 cables from the VL3X to the Scarlett? That should make everything sound nicer since many of the effects in the VL3 are stereo and loose a lot of goodness in mono.

The downside of an additional DA conversion should be negligible in comparison to the benefit of keeping things simpler. When I still had a VL2, I tried and compared both methods and came to the conclusion, that the extra hassle of going digital from the VL to the computer was not worth it for me. So I quit worrying about it and took the analog outputs.

p.s. Unfortunately the realities of working in a studio are more difficult than the marketing brochures imply. :grimacing: But if you can work through the growing pains, you can do a lot of stuff in your home studio that needed very expensive studio time just a couple of decades ago. – Of course, if you have more money than time, a professional studio is still a good option. :slight_smile:

Hi Nico, I followed your recommendation. I will play around somewhat with Mono/Stereo. I had it 2x mono out of the main exits. Now it is four times (I suppose mono). Thus, recording one track of each double-input should be fine…I am not really recording anyway. It is more about solving ideas and doing low -fi versions. (My generation grew up with a cassette recorder :-). I think that is still way better than using the VL3X USB stick solution (all on one track and switching back and forth with the USB stick). All in all it seems: TC Helicon has quite some homework left on the audio side…

Hi Andreas,
The idea would actually to make 2 stereo tracks in Cubase:

First in Your Cubase Studio Connections add 2 stereo buses (you can leave all of your previous buses there - it’s perfectly fine to have several different overlapping bus assignments for each input channel - it’s just different ways of organizing the same inputs):

• VL3 Voice :
    – Left: connected to the input coming from the VL3 left voice output
    – Right: connected to the input coming from the VL3 right voice output
  • VL3 Guitar :
    – Left: connected to the input coming from the VL3 left guitar output
    – Right: connected to the input coming from the VL3 right guitar output

And then make 2 Audio tracks in Cubase (both of them Stereo ), one connected to the VL3 Voice input, and the other connected to the VL3 Guitar input.

And voila - now you have the full goodness from VL3 into your Cubase recordings. :grinning:

Yes, I will play aroung with the possibilities. I may also split the guitar before the VL3 and go “dry” into the Scarlett as well.

1 Like

Nico, I did like you said. Vocals sound very good. Guitar still is somewhat “synthetic”. Feels like a bit of phaser and chorus are in. But that is not the case. That is probably due to the two DA conversions. I can live with that for the time being. And I will try the workaround with a DI box to split the guitar signal. I also have one guitar with a stereo output (piezo and onboard mic). Maybe that is also an option. It might take some time to come to the very final point (if ever reached). Most important for me at the moment is to have a stable and easy-to-handle solution to store fragments and ideas and - every once in a while - record a full song. Thanx for your help.

1 Like

I have a new issue :-). As I described earlier I play into the VL3 that goes into the Scarlett which goes into the PC. That works fine. However, on “the way back” I can listen to files I play on the computer (e.g. with the VLC player) via the VL3 headhphones (and play along to rehersal). But I cannot listen to the cubase signals. They do not make it “back into the VL3”. I can listen to theses signals when I plug the headphones into the Scarlet. It also goes from Cubase into the amplifier (directly out of the Scarletts “main exit”). The VLC player signals (as any other signal from Youtube or whatever) goes from the Scarlett back into the VL3 via the USB cable. But somehow that does not cover the signals coming from Cubase. Any idea how to receive also the Cubase signals in the VL3?! THANX for your advice!! Andreas