Record on different channels?

Hi,
One question: In Cubase Pro 9.5, what can be done to record the chords and the melody by playing both at the same time using the Midi keyboard, but remaining recorded on different channels? Thank you very much

There’s a zillion ways, but it will depend on your equipment. Some keyboards allow for splitting so you can set the range and set each key range to a separate channel. Then you’d just set the MIDI channel of each track to a different channel.

You can use the input transformer of the MIDI track to restrict the range.

You can filter input range in HSE.

You can set the individual MIDI note channel in the information line.

Those are just a few

Thanks!!

Hi:
My Midi Yamaha Psr 1100 keyboard, does not allow the separation of Midi channels, what can I do?
Very Thanks!!

read the other options I listed

OK

The only way to do it from the keyboard side is to record in two passes. You would play the chords, then reset the keyboard MIDI out channel, then record the melody. If you don’t want to mess with the keyboard and want to do things in one pass, your best bet is to use the input transformer of the MIDI track to restrict the high and low note.

I wouldn’t do that either though as high/low notes for melody and chords often overlap significantly. The way I normally do what you are trying to accomplish is to go ahead and record it all in one go, then go back and select all the notes you want to be the chord track and set the channel for those in the info bar.

I think Steinberg would have to take this problem into account
Very Thanks!!

Really? How would the programme know what to separate without any instruction from you?

There is already a way to do it built in using one of the procedures that JMC already alluded to but it will require some reading of the manual to get the best from it.

I would use the logical editor to separate the note range.
A more easy way would be recording on two tracks and filter them differently.
Many ways to skin a cat.

Steinberg has taken this into account and provided many options for dealing with it. More options than the other DAWs you are likely to consider. There are also 3rd party plugins for dealing with incoming MIDI data, but again you will be faced with the “how does it know” problem.

It seems you aren’t clear on what the problem is.

You are sending information on channel 1.
Cubase is happily recording all events that occur on channel 1.

----Now you want Cubase to split SOME of those notes and associated events to another channel
This leads to the “how does it know” question.
It also leads to a bunch of problems you haven’t thought about.

Cubase has no direct way to know which notes and/or events you want to split. So it has a several functions available on the track for filtering incoming data. You can filter by note range for example. Cubase also provides a MIDI plugin that has a lot of features for modifying incoming MIDI data beyond that basics provided in the track transformer.

----As I pointed out, the problem with note range is that in the example you provided the lowest note of the melody may be lower than the highest note of the chord track. How does Cubase know that some random MIDI On message is suddenly supposed to be filtered differently? What happens when you want to play the melody in your left hand, chords in right? Do you want Cubase to magically know to swap the filters? And this is just one filtering scenario. There are dozens if not hundreds of others.

—And that doesn’t even start to cover the NON-Channelized MIDI information coming.

In your scenario the best solution you are going to find, without changing your hardware setup …
-record to 1 track
-highlight the notes you want to be on a different channel (I’m assuming you want a different instrument)
-set the channel for the selected notes in the infoline
-optionally use the explode function to get the other channel automatically moved to a new MIDI track

I think the way I would do it is to create two MIDI (or Instrument) tracks using Halion SE (or higher), have each one having half(-ish) of the keyboard (by setting the ranges within the HSE Instruments), raise the lower one of them by an octave (in the instrument) and then deliberately play the chords only on the lower split.

In this way you might be appearing to play the chords a whole octave lower on the keyboard (to avoid overlapping the melody line) but Cubase has successfully split them into the two tracks played in the correct octave.

Less than five minutes to set up and if it’s something you’re going to want regularly save it as a Template.

yep works fine unless the melody and chords overlap or invert

Well, it depends how much they overlap…as long as it’s less than an octave you’re fine with the above…that’s what I tested it with. If it’s more then it depends on how big your master keyboard is and how much overlap/inversion there is. And maybe one’s arm-span.

Can’t say it’s something I ever do (or would do often enough not just to use your manually suggested method).

I often separate right and left hands onto 2 midi tracks by playing the part normally, duplicating the resulting midi part then deleting or muting what was played by the LH in the original track and similarly silencing the RH in the copy. Doesn’t take long.

Thanks!