Recording a digital piano

Although I have had Cubase a while, I am no expert.
I should like other peoples perspective on simply recording a digital piano.

I have a Roland RD_700NX. Its a very decent piano, it uses Roland’s Supernatural, physical modelling tech. I use the Concert Grand. This is solo Jazz with impro.

This is my go to sound, I use it every day. I recently decided I am ready to record myself.

Its already set up and I understand Cubase pretty much. I just don’t have mucjh experience recording piano.

I suppose its Audio in at correct level, from the piano, and maybe a MIDi feed too - silenced, perhaps a little reverb and that’s it?

Its really that simple? Any particular VST to enhance? I am seeking a pure sound, so at present I would say no.

Z

Would appreciate any other tips

I use an RD 300nx, basically the same thing (with a smaller sound ROM that includes a more limited selection besides the pianos, which are identical to those of your 700nx.)

I think the RD’s grand piano is pretty good for practicing, playing at night with headphones and for the stage (IMHO the action is even better than that of a typical dedicated 88-key weighted controller. I believe it feels more natural to a trained pianist.) But it’s no match for a really good virtual instrument when I’m working with my DAW. In that case, the rd300nx only acts as a controller for Ivory II, which I believe is still top dog. The Fazioli (Italian Grand) is probably your best option if you play jazz, as it’s shinier at high dynamics than the Steinway, Bosendorfer and Yamaha that come with the Ivory II collection. If I’m not using the Fazioli, American Concert D is my favorite (unfortunately, it’s a separate library not included with the Ivory II collection.)

Besides, using virtual instruments instead of inputting sound from your RD into Cubase saves you the trouble to set up MIDI management, audio levels and FX.

Not in a position to buy a VST would like to try recording the audio, additional MIDI track is for tweaking performance.

“Recording piano” is done with microphones. In your case it´s digital piano - plug its outputs into the interface´s inputs and set level so they don´t clip - that´s it.

Hi,

I would record Audio AND Midi, then modify MIDI to taste and produce as many additional Audio Versions (Playing back the midi) as needed/wanted.

I would try some reverb, compression (depending on style) and eq plus some panning (maybe Stereo enhancer, again depending on style)

Cheers, Ernst

I would try some reverb, compression (depending on style) and eq plus some panning (maybe Stereo enhancer, again depending on style)

If you´re really not experienced, I personally would recommend to record dry and add FX later…

Hi :slight_smile:… as to the comment of sound-booth “Record dry”…

yes… definitely. Switch off ALL effects in the digital piano and record it dry.
In Cubase itself, any effect I mentioned is anyways NOT printed to the Audio track until you finally create your mixdown.

Cheers, Ernst

P.S: What I am trying to say is: Use vst -Effects in the audiotrack in cubase. Those are not printed to the recording of the individual track.

you for the replies, as I though, simply done

Z

Could someone please walk me through the steps required to record my digital piano’s audio? I’ve been trying to figure this out forever. I have a casio px-350 that is connected to my PC via a dual 1/4 " to 1/8" inch cable and I’m also connected via USB for the transfer of midi. What I want is to be able to use my piano to record midi, edit the performance to my taste, and then save the file using the audio produced by my actual piano. I’m quite certain I have all the proper cables but how do I go about actually doing this? I can record a midi track no problem … but I can’t successfully convert that to audio. I would very greatly appreciate any help!!

Thanks.

The conversion of MIDI to audio in your case is the instrument playing your MIDI notes while recording its audio output. So connect the piano’s output to an audio input of Cubase, create a stereo track and record as above.