Recording - add to selected track of montage

Greetings,

I’ve been away for a while. Still on Wavelab 6 in fact. Curious about WL 7 & 8 - is it no longer possible to record directly to a montage track? There used to be an option “add to selected track of montage” in the recording dialog window.

Thanks,

Eric

Hi Eric, nice to “see you”. This is possible, though better in version 8:
2013-07-10_08-22-54.png

Greetings PG,

It’s been a long time !

Thanks for the response. I don’t see that option in my WL 7.2.1 (odd), but my WL 8 will be arriving any day now so I will wait and investigate.

I hope all is well with you! Thanks for the continued awesome work that you do !

Cheers,

Eric

Both Wavelab 7 and 8 (at least 8.02) still have the same option that has been there since 5, which is to click on the track number and choose the “record at cursor” menu option. This gives you a full record dialogue and will place the subsequent recording, starting at the cursor point, on the track in the Montage.

I have not checked out all functions in 8.02 yet, but there were a couple of changes between 5 and 7 in functionality, one being that hitting the “Discard” key used to still place the new file at the same point when you recorded again, but now puts the new file into the folder without placing it in the Montage (in 7, haven’t checked it in 8)(I was using 7 often in XP, so this may have actually been an XP issue).

In any case, click on the track number and it will all be there.

I have not checked out all functions in 8.02 yet, but there were a couple of changes between 5 and 7 in functionality, one being that hitting the “Discard” key used to still place the new file at the same point when you recorded again, but now puts the new file into the folder without placing it in the Montage (in 7, haven’t checked it in 8)(I was using 7 often in XP, so this may have actually been an XP issue).

Not sure what you mean, but in 8, there is this new option:
2013-07-11_20-04-40.png

Just to clarify, even though I am referring to a change in WL7 from WL5 in XP: When I used the track command “Record at Cursor” in WL5 and would hit the “Discard” button, thus deleting what I had recorded prior to that while keeping the record window open with the same file destination, when I then hit record again the resultant file would be loaded into that Montage track, though I think displaced by the amount of the original, discarded recording…In WL7 (on XP), the second time around never appears on the track, but just goes directly to the designated folder.

It is certainly possible that this change in behavior was because of the use of XP, or because of some options I was not aware of not being checked.

In any case, since I am moving on to WL8, it hardly matters.

I did think it was important that the original poster should realize that the easy “Record at Cursor” option was still there for the Montage. Judging by this and one other thread, it seems that some folks never used this option.

Like any modern DAW program, there are always multiple paths to get to certain menus or certain actions.

That’s what I’ve always loved about Wavelab, multiple options and configs. The image that PG posted resembles the method that I’ve used for years (option in record dialog) - this is what I was looking for.

Much appreciated PG. Say hello to the group for me !

(Nice to meet you Jim !)

Eric

I’ve finally had a chance to give Wavelab 8 it’s due time. PG, you’ve hit a home run !! Wow ! Fantastic work, my friend ! Kudos !! I will be upgrading our 25 workstations to WL 8. You’ve done it again !

Eric

Glad you like it :slight_smile: Hope your team like it too.