Recording Approach Acoustic Travis Style Picking

Hi,
I am recording an acoustic guitar, a Taylor to be exact. I am finger picking, and using a style called double thumb, or Travis style.The thumb alternates bass notes, while the other 3 or 4 fingers on the right hand, pick out the melody, generally on higher pitches strings.

I’m getting way too much bass and not enough melody notes in my recording.

Any suggestions?

• Is it just mic placement?
  • Is it EQ?
  • Is there a pre-configured track setting for this style of picking?

Thanks!!
Thumbin’ in Texas

Mic placement and type.
you could try with an Omni mic to avoid the proximity effect that a cardioid mic has.
If you are using two cardioid mic’s, angle one towards the bridge and the other towards the 12 fret.
It all depends on the room, and what mic’s you have to play with. If you have a buddy that could help you position the mic’s while you listen on closed headphones, it might be faster to find the sweet spot. When you find it, take a few photos so you can replicate it later.

Aloha V,

Keep in mind that yer prob may not be an electrical/computer/microphone one.

Here in Hawaii we call that style of playing, ‘Slack Key’
and is very common in most local music.

The guitar itself might be a lil bass heavy.
Which can be great while playing live but in the studio could be a bit problematic.

A couple of approaches:

1- A lighter gauge string on the lo E and A might help a bit.
2- Alter your playing technique a bit. Try lessening your thumb touch.
3-Try another ax.

Your post sort of reminds me of when I get a bassist in the studio
that can ‘thump and pop’ with the best of them
but has not yet learned to balance the differences.

In those cases I end up using a comp/limiter (Or two. One for the lo end) which helps with the prob but is not the
most ideal solution.

Good Luck!
{‘-’}

I bet you’ve got your mic placed directly in front of the guitar body.

Get a small diaphragm condenser, even a cheap Chinese one will do, position it in front of the guitar where the neck joins the body slightly angled towards the body about 8 to 10 inches away and you’ll be good to go.

MC