Recording MOX8 MIDI with UR44 interface

Hi team,

I was successfully recording MIDI with my Steinberg CI-1 interface and MOX8. I upgraded to the Steinberg UR44 inteface and now I have no sound no matter what I do.

To answer this, I know you’re going to throw 800 questions at me. Instead, can someone perhaps give me a list of basic things to try first? Here’s what I’ve done so far:

• Plugged the MOX8 into a direct USB port on my computer (the port I always used).
  • Turned the MOX8 on.
  • The MOX8 is configured as Bad Mister detailed in his wonderful article (2ch stereo instead of 4-it worked before).
  • When opening a new project, I select Yamaha MOX6_MOX8 with VST Editor.
  • When Cubase opens, I always get a bunch of Missing Ports, In and Out unmapped errors. I was getting these all the time with the old interface, and yet everything worked.
  • The MOX/MOX8 VST Editor appears, but reads, “No audio” in the title area.

I can record MIDI from my MOX8, however there is no sound on playback. The Output routing is likely to blame. I don’t understand the relationship between it and everything else. I wish someone would just put a “see Spot run” list of what to do so I can just record my tunes or play back a pre-made MIDI file. This overly complicated process completely kills creativity.

I know one thing that has NEVER been produced on ANY forum, that I’m aware of–a really simple Glossary of terms that explains all the acronyms and techy terms. It’s one thing for all you wonderful folks to provide answers, but when the terms make no sense, the answer is useless. End of rant…

Many thanks for letting me bend your ears–now any ideas? Best…

• Lee

I just noticed something. In the Device Setup–>VST Audio Ssytem–>ASIO Driver, it reads Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO. It doesn’t specifically list the UR44 interface. The UR44 interface is displayed everywhere else, why not here? Could this be the problem?

Also, when I play a few keys, the cursor jumps all over the place. What’s happening?

• Lee

Hi,

No, this is not a problem. All Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO drivers are named like this. This is the driver name, not the device name.

In every case, we would like to ask you some more details about your system:

• Are you on Mac or Windows?
  • Which version of OS do you have?
  • Which version of Cubase (exactly) do you have?
  • Are you using UR44 ASIO, or are you using MOX also as an Audio Device?
  • If you are using UR44, is the Line Out of your MOX HW connected to any Line In of your UR44?
  • Can you see the signal on input meters of UR44?
  • Can you see the signal in Cubase on Input buses?

OK, thanks Martin. That’s one thing off the list. Only about 3,200 to go :slight_smile: .

Yes, I sent some of them already :wink: (sorry, I edited my original post, while you were typing yours).

Hi again, Martin,

In every case, we would like to ask you some more details about your system:

• Are you on Mac or Windows? Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
  • Which version of OS do you have?
  • Which version of Cubase (exactly) do you have? Cubase 8 Artist
  • Are you using UR44 ASIO, or are you using MOX also as an Audio Device? No idea how to check that.
  • If you are using UR44, is the Line Out of your MOX HW connected to any Line In of your UR44? My signal routing is: Audio Out L/R from MOX8 to Inputs 1 and 2 on the UR44. UR44 main outputs L/R to HS8 powered monitors.
  • Can you see the signal on input meters of UR44? The UR44 only shows a clip light. So “No.”
  • Can you see the signal in Cubase on Input buses? Yes. I assume you mean on the Track VU meter? I can see the audio signal there and the Transport Panel.

The cursor still bounces all over the place when I play my MOX8. I had this happen before but don’t remember how to fix it.

I can record MIDI data, but can’t here it. Here is a screen shot.
Capture.JPG

Ji,

Asd an Audio track. As an Input, select Stereo In (I asume, you have this Input in the VST Connections > Input; set to UR44 1/L and UR44 1/R). Make sure Monitor is switched On (orange speaker button) on the Audio track. Now, the audio signal from MOX is routed thru UR44 Input to Cubase and from Cubase back to the UR44 output.

You could also use Direct Routing.

Many thanks, Martin. I shall give it a try and report back.

• Lee

Still getting nowhere.

I created an audio track, recorded some notes and chords from my MOX8. Everything played back perfectly. So my audio routing is fine. I have buses :slight_smile:!!

I tried recording a MIDI track and the notes don’t appear. In fact, now there is no signal on the MIDI track. There is signal in the Transport bar. When I play notes on the MOX8, the Cubase cursor jumps ahead at random. So MIDI information is getting through, albeit very annoying and useless information! I had this happen before but don’t remember how I fixed it. None of these issues happened with the old sound interface (CI-1) It’s only since using the UR44, I am getting no results.

Do I need to do something with the Editor VST?? It shows (No Audio) in its title line.

Would someone PLEASE write a procedure that will get me up and running? At this point, I’m ready to take up basket weaving. This whole idea of recording is for smart people only. Thanks.

• Lee

OK, so you have an Audio, but not a MIDI. Lets focus back to MIDI. Is the Monitor and Record Enable switched On on the Instrument Track? Is the Input set to the MOX Input or All MIDI Inputs? If there is All MIDI Inputs selected, is MOX part of this virtual Input (check it in the Devices > Device Setup > MIDI Ports)?

Hi Martin,

Yes.

All MIDI Inputs. (My MOX is the only hardware device being used. I also own a Tyros 5–not hooked up.)

I believe so. Please see screen capture of the MIDI port setup.

Note the (No Audio) in the Editor VST title is gone. I set the Audio Return Ports to Auto. That got rid of the message in the title.

Other info: the MOX is in Song mode, and the Editor VST works perfect.

Thanks, Martin.

The cursor still jumps ahead when I play notes on the MOX. To me, that indicates some sort of incorrect MIDI setup. I believe you may have said that, Martin :slight_smile:.

Does it matter which USB port I use for my MIDI connection? I’m not plugged into the USB hub–I’m going direct. It DOES matter when I plug my Tyros 5 in! Took me 3 days to figure that out.

Here’s a picture of the Track Inspector and Transport bar after I play a note on the MOX. MIDI is getting through but I hear nothing. Yes, the MOX and UR44 are turned up :slight_smile:.

I wonder if I need to re-install my UR44 driver??

Anyone? Thanks.

Found the problem!!

The Yamaha Steinberg Control Panel–>ASIO driver was set to UR44. It needs to be set to Yamaha MOX6/MOX8. I don’t fully understand why but it works. I just recorded a piano and bass track from my MOX to Cubase!

Thanks everyone…until the next issue…

• Lee

Or if you midi cable to your UR44 you have to set your midi IN/OUT on the MOX to “MIDI” not USB.

that would go like this. Utility/midi/Other/ for the in/out setting.

The above instruction only applies if you have UR 44 as your chosen driver