Recording multiple tracks through mixer, Cubase 8, asio4all

Hi

I am fairly new to using Cubase and DAWs in general and I have found the solution to most of my issues on this site bar one.

I am attempting to record Drums on multiple tracks independently through a Behringer X2222 USB mixing desk. However in the Device setup, after selecting Asio4All as the driver, only two channels are displayed as active when my desk has 16 inputs. I am getting a signal in Cubase, but I need to know how to use the channels independently in order to mix my drums well and add effects.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :smiley:

Cheers!

I might be wrong, but as far as I know the X2222 is not a real sound card, but a mixing panel. It has only one stereo (USB) output (that can be used as input in the DAW), and all the input channels will be mixed into that one stereo output.The whole purpose of this piece of equipment is to record and mix “on location” and record it all with general recording software, not in combination with a DAW.

If you want separate input channels and one or more output channels, you have to buy a dedicated sound card that has multiple I/O (and dedicated ASIO drivers).

As said - I might be wrong, but that’s what I understood from the product page.

Jclosed is exactly correct…The Behringer only has stereo or 2 channel USB functionality.

Mixers capable of multitrack recording tend to be a lot more expensive I’m afraid.

Okay, that’s really helpful guys thank you! :slight_smile:

Any recommendations on a good mixer with soundcard with around the same amount of channels?

If you specifically want a mixer rather than an interface (plus expansion) and it needs to be usb your choices are very limited…Maybe an Alesis Multimix 16?

A USB mixer is more appropriate for what I’m attempting just now. I’m a student on a very limited budget and I want to try and get the most bang for my buck for recording etc. I’ll check out the Alesis :slight_smile:

Its quite difficult to get precise info about how many channels are recorded by mixers with USB recording!! But a while back I found the cheapest option for multitrack recording was the Behringer XENYX UFX1204, which I now use for rehearsal style jam sessions.

This is a 12 input mixer and it records those 12 channels separately along with 4 others (I think the main mix plus fx channels). Its a very nicely featured mixer with everything that you could need, including talk-back. The only thing that lets it down is the build quality. I had to send back 2 units before I got one which worked without connection/crackle problems, and now this one has started causing similar troubles after a year of very light use! I bought it from Thomann and they were very good about arranging the returns.

There is a 16 channel version as well, which records all 16 inputs I believe - but check the manual…

Mike.

Take care! I’m currently experiencing some ASIO Problems with my Multimix and Cubase Element 7.
The transfer works from the Mixer to the Computer (recording) but if you want to use VST Instruments - and ‘haer’ them back on the mixer it probably won’t work with the generic ASIO driver! :open_mouth:

Not sure about the MultiMix 16 USB 2.0 though …

Cheers, Chris