Recording Track But Signals from Other Tracks Recorded too

Hi,
I am having a problem that i thought i had got over,
I am trying to record a clean bass track on track 3 using drums on track 1 and keys on track 2 as playback but keep getting the drums and keys combining with the bass on the new track, so that all 3 are mixed together,
Can anyone tell me where i get the bass only signal recorded please?
Thanks

Somewhere in your setup, your outputs are being sent back to your inputs.

Gonna need a lot more info: e.g. Your Cubase version; operating system; audio interface; what you have set up for ins and outs in VST Connections.

On my system, my interface has a software mixer that can route any output to any input before it hits Cubase. If that’s set wrong, I could easily record output with input!
If your interface has that ability, that could be happening to you.

hi,
Using Elements 7,
Windows 8.1,
Tascam US-366,
stereo and mono in through vst connections,
stereo out, 1 and 2 , to monitors and 3 and 4 extra when sampling.
Thanks for the help

Right. Thanks. But “stereo and mono in” are what everyone’s inputs are called. What hardware ports are the inputs and outputs connected to?

Basically, you’ve got to figure out what the ways are that your outputs could possibly be getting into your inputs? Is there a software mixer/routing application for the Tascam that could be routing outs to ins together?

What busses are the already-recorded tracks assigned to?

Right. Thanks. But “stereo and mono in” are what everyone’s inputs are called. What hardware ports are the inputs and outputs connected to?

Basically, you’ve got to figure out what the ways are that your outputs could possibly be getting into your inputs? Is there a software mixer/routing application for the Tascam that could be routing outs to ins together?

What busses are the already-recorded tracks assigned to?

Again thanks,
The hardware ports sre inputs from behringer mixer, output to m audio powered monitors, not complicated.
The tascam has a software mixer window and in that window there is a monitor computer slider that can’t be adjusted, it might be that, on the tascam hardware there is a rotary dial that can choose between monitor and computer signal output, could it be that?
The already recorded tracks are going to stereo out bus,
On the track being recorded if you click the monitor speaker icon while it’s got a stereo out bus I hear terrible strobing feedback,
I reinstalled the tascam driver yesterday but still the same,
I agree it’s definitely a channel feeding back in, but what?
I think it’s something to do with the monitoring of the signals but it’s driving me crazy,
Is there a drop down window that I haven’t seen yet that disables a route or something, I’ve been looking but can’t find,
Much appreciated,
W

It must be the Tascam monitor feature. The feedback loop you hear is proof. I get that sometimes if I was, say, using my interface to monitor input on one session, then forgot to turn that off for next session where I’m monitoring through Cubase.
You’re double-monitoring. The Tascam is sending what it’s getting from Cubase back to the inputs.

So just switch that knob to whichever setting its not on now, and try using Cubase to monitor. Set your buffers as low as you can get away with.

See if that works?

Sure you haven’t accidently returned to the default routing of the Tascam software mixer?

For example, the default RME driver/mixer installation routes all tracks to the phones output, in addition to the expected 1->1, 2->2, etc, thereby interfering with using Cubase’s Control Room. I had to un-route those extra phones sources so I only heard Cubase’s Phones output through them.

As enjneer wrote, check your monitoring routing matrix for unwanted connections. It may be as simple as a single recording mode switch changing routing matrices.

it was the default setting that got deployed on the Tascam,
i swapped it back over and its working good now,
Thank you both very much,
Just an aside when i record an analog track using cubase monitoring, i always choose no bus for the output of the track being recorded, is this right or did i miss a step?
Thanks

Thank you.

Usually, every track has its output connected to a group or an output (except for special routings), and there is no need to change that for recording. Why would you want to disconnect it while recording?

Yeah, should be able to leave output as it was. I always do.

again thanks guys, i just did a couple of takes without the stereo out disabled and all good,
looks like i lost the feedback routing,
Much appreciated!

Hello,

I am having the exact same problem as Walnut Astoria. Can you please talk me through exactly what you did to correct the tascam and cubase please?

Hi Walnut Astoria,

I am having exactly the same problem as you with the Tascam us-366 and Cubase.

Can you please explain exactly what you did to fix this problem, would be greatly appreciated!

I’m having the same issue, can someone explain the process to fix this in detail because I don’t understand it!