Recording video playback with Windows 10 Game Bar

I work on audio for mobile games, and using Windows 10 Game Bar, I’ve managed to video capture games that I am testing on Google Chrome with audio/video playing back smoothly.

However when I try using Windows 10 Game Bar to record the video playback from Cubase 10 with my sound design synced to the video clip, only the video is recorded. No audio is coming out despite the fact that I’ve configured Windows 10 Game Bar audio settings to use my audio interface Focusrite USB.

Has anyone successfully recorded video playback in Cubase with Windows 10 Game Bar, or be able to advise me on how I can fix this issue?

I’ve tried to record Cubase video playback with OBS and voicemeeter but there seems to be a lag in the audio playback using this method.

Any help would be much appreciated!

1 Like

Good luck! It doesn’t matter what recording app you use, nothing works with Cubase. I have a Steinberg audio interface for crying out loud and no matter what I use VoiceMeeter, Reastream, OBS, nothing will record the audio in a screen capture. I gmhave tried everything. I have a support ticket in to Steinberg so I’ll see what happens.

1 Like

It’s been a good few years since you guys’ posts.

So, excuse me for bumping this … but have ya’ll gotten any kind of resolution to this?

Cheers,

Let me try to visualize what is happening.

Cubase uses ASIO, which is an audio system that is independent from the OS Windows (except for a part of Windows that you as the user don’t have access to).
Windows GameBar cannot record Cubase’s output as ASIO outputs its signal low level to the audio driver, a point that is beyond the reach of GameBar/OBS/Discord/Zoom/any other Windows app.
You would need to create a loopback to bring the signal back into the Windows audio system.
Loopback can be created by (a) the driver of your audio interface providing it or by (b) using an extra software like Voicemeter Banana, ASIO Linkpro, or ReaStream or by (c) physically (with cables) connecting an audio output of your audio interface with one of its inputs (watch out not to create a feedback loop, though).

1 Like

Makes sense!

(a) Does the UR-RT4 support loopback with the Steinberg drivers?
(b) Are these softwares known to work with Steinberg’s UR-RT4?
(c) The UR-RT4 has 4 outputs, so it’s possible, albeit being the least feasible option.

Hoping to receive your enlightenment on the subject.

Cheers,