redundant meter flag

see attached sample
redundant-meter-mark.jpg
How to:

• insert a double barline (Shift-B ||) at bar 3
  • remove it (Shift B |)
  • appears a useless, redundant mark at bar 3 which cannot be deleted
    (it will disappear only if I select barline 2 and delete two bars.)

The correct way to replace a double barline with a normal barline is to delete the double barline, not to create a new normal barline.

1 Like

pianoleo, this is at odds with the way all the other barlines are implemented. Whether using the popover or the panel, any selection can be made without the spurious signpost appearing except the single (Normal) barline. Do you or anyone else know the reason for this discrepancy, or indeed the meaning behind why the singpost shows during this operation? It is my understanding that clicking on the different barlines under the Create Barlines panel works similarly to other panels like changing dynamics. One does not have to delete a dynamic in order to replace it. The same seems to be with barlines except for the Normal barline type.

I am merely the messenger. Daniel posted on the following subject yesterday, here: Signposts at barlines - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

My supposition is that a normal barline is incomparable with a meter change, dynamic change, key change etc. because none of these things are necessary at the start or end of a bar, unlike a barline.

Imagine you’re in 3/4 at bar 1. At bar 2 you add a 4/4 meter change. You then change your mind and replace it was a 3/4 change. Dorico does not delete the meter change; it gives you an entirely redundant meter change from 3/4 back to 3/4!

Imagine you’re in G major at bar 1 and change to Ab major at bar 2. If you replace it with a G major key signature it gives you a redundant key signature, it doesn’t delete it.

A normal barline is a default that appears automatically. If you replace it with a double barline you’re forcing a change. If you then replace that with a “normal” barline you’re forcing another change, not resetting to the default.

Thanks pianoleo, insightful as always. Although possibly annoying to some, Dorico’s puzzles (when solved) are interesting to me on some level due to my natural curiosity and affinity to solve them. I appreciate your comments (and somehow missed Daniel’s recent elucidation on this subject). “Elucidation” - I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to use it in a sentence!

I’m not necessarily accurate - it really is just a guess!