Remix -- Bad Soundcloud links

This will be my last response on this so as not to hijack halljack. I’ve been posting in the various Cubase forum incarnations since 1999. There have been folks here with very hard feelings against urban/hip hop music and ,as mentioned , at least one is still here. I’m quite sure that this doesn’t represent the vast majority here now but I’ve just gotten used to posting certain songs here and I don’t see that changing.

To me ,this is basically a rock orientated forum that also open to other forms of guitar based or modern music. I post my guitar orientated songs here that I think folks will like and critique Why not take advantage of what a forum is as opposed to trying to make a forum work for styles that have been vocally rejected?. Steiny should have been an active participant a long time ago in banning certain folks but they chose not to and allowed a climate to be created (at least in the old forum). If you come at this as a recent member this may all seem crazy but there’s a reason why you see so many styles posted at Gearslutz and not so much here. Mods were asleep at the switch for a long long time IMO and missed the opportunity to foster a welcoming environment.

Halljack’s song fits right in to the predominate style here.I just didn’t see attitude from him until the last post.

No more from me.

I’ll just comment on the suggestion for sub-sections for specific genres. I think that it’s a bad idea. Orchestra/movie/videogame music is definitely “my” genre, as you put it. But even if I don’t particularly like other genres as much it’s still interesting to hear them. And then there are the times when there are musics from other genres that you discover and really enjoy.

For example, the first piece I heard by Kenny (Kzarider) I wasn’t that impressed because jazz wasn’t a genre I was very familiar with or that into at the time. The next few pieces I heard through his posts I really enjoyed and thought were fantastic and even favourited his last piece on SoundCloud. There’ll always be people who are open and closed-minded, I don’t think many people will feel the need for a sub-section for each genre. So yeah, it’s nice taking some time to listen to a variety of things and not everyone has to like everything. I think most people here do like multiple genres of music.

I read what Mr. M just posted and I’ll take his word for it about how the forum was in previous years. He is right though, some months ago some “trip-hop” (whatever that is) didn’t get many comments as opposed to how many rock stuff does, nor does my orchestra stuff and an older member here that seems to have disappeared since insistently accused me of pasting together loops because of his lack of understanding, but you just need to laugh and shrug. Although if it were a majority then I can understand Mr. M’s feelings and I think there’s no reason to not take his word for it considering he takes time to listen and comment on others music, something which some here posting their own music selfishly don’t bother to do.

Well Steinberg: Lets Start a poll :wink:

Jack :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

PS: The Blatant Bias of peoples song’s has been very evident to me
since the start of http://www.steinberg.net.
I’ll have to re-read some old stuff at http://www.cubase.net/phpbb2/
just to see if the Bias existed then.

Critiquing someone else’s songs has always been a tough one
And I see the Problem’s Steinberg has created with this forum.
I used to take a magazine back in the 1980’s
that had what was called READER’S TAPES http://www.recordingmag.com/tapereviews.html
and seriously these guys would toss Tapes, CD-R’S Dat’s in
the trash a lot just because they didn’t like the song’s
without even Critiquing the mix or recording. This is what i’m getting at. THE BIA’S.
A&R people with record companies almost always listen to the song first
then the RECORDING —MIX second. The Same C********** is happening here.
IMO it’s very hard to over come this Musical Bias. :wink:

Sub catagories would be a start. :wink: :wink: :smiley:

Even if people do have a bias and a leaning toward certain types of music that they enjoy more than others I don’t see why that is a problem in the slightest. There’s just no need for sub-sections for each musical genre. Take it up with Steinberg staff if you like but I’d bet they’d reject the suggestion. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve already started the ball rollin :smiley:

Jack :smiley: :smiley:

If someone has a preference, bias or leaning towards certain types of music, forcing them to click one more time to enter that category is not going to change anything at all. The only time specific sub-sections would be useful is if there were say, five times more people posting threads. Good luck with your goal to change the forums format anyway.

Well have you seen this over at http://www.gearslutz.com/board/songwriting/

1. Post finished Demos here
  2. Rough Demos here – one guy at gearslutz says this
    This is a thread to post rough demos of songs, for critique NOT of production but of composition. So out-of-tune vocals or crappy recordings are totally fine – this is about the song, not the performance

This could be 2 sub catagories Steinberg could adopt for “MADE WITH CUBASE” IMO

Jack :smiley:

Yes: And maybe more people would feel like posting
there Demos,songs, and get critique from Like minded
song writers - Engineers- producer’s - here on "Made with Cubase, without feeling
intimidated by people that don’t like there taste in music
to begin with.

Jack :slight_smile:

Sure, Steinberg could add a separate section for people wanting critique and tips on composition and one for production. But a lot of people here are pretty clear as to what they want from comments, or it’s painstakingly obvious the way someone posts whether they deem it finished and people wanting criticism and/or tips usually do ask for it. So again, it could be useful, I just don’t think it’s all that necessary, especially considering sites like Gearslutz are bigger, and rowdier I might add.

But your original suggestion was to separate different genres of music such as; rock, pop, metal, RnB, dance, orchestra and so forth into their respective sub-sections which is what I initially said is a pointless suggestion given that there really isn’t quite the volume of threads being posted here to necessitate doing so. Have you abandoned this suggestion or do you hope for all of those sub-sections in both of your newly suggested ‘finished demos’ and ‘rough demos’ sub-sections? It’s quite simple if the person making the thread for their song simply asks for composition or production help. When I first posted here I specifically asked for production comments/tips and not composition, I didn’t think to myself “gee, this is so inconvenient I wish there were sections specifically for this.”

I don’t think anyone really feels intimidated because people don’t like that particular style of music that they write. Could you give me an example in a thread where someone has expressed that they feel intimidated by others to post a specific genre of music?

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I’ll be gone probably until after the weekend.

Jonathan: Phil Pendlebury with the Steely Dan cover had
a couple of very abusive comments directed at him on his thread even though IMO he did quite well.
You can tell Phil has been at this Game along time as I have to.

One of my own threads with a Beatles cover really got ugly a couple of years ago.
I’m sure I could find others, Gimmie time.

Jonathan are you a Steinberg employee :question:
Why do you care so much :question:
no I’m pushing this all the way
Sub Categories’ and the finished Demo, rough Demo idea would be a plus for this forum and for Steinberg IMO :wink:

Jack :smiley:

Wouldn’t it be easier to finish a song to the best of your ability and THEN release to the public for feedback and recommendations and work from there?

I see what you’re proposing as real tedious. Again, if you publish your work on any forum someone is always going to comment on it whether you like it or not…good or bad…and by people who share your genre so I’m not sure what your crusade is going to accomplish (unless you think it will yield more positive reviews).

If Steinberg ever implemented all of these sub-categories, I’d probably stop sharing… too complicated!
I can just see the flaming from forum members because someone posted in the wrong section…or the original poster thought their song represented a certain genre and someone else disagrees…“bias” again and just something else for someone to complain about.

Jack…your genre, the Rock genre, is VERY WELL represented here so I’m really trying to understand why you feel so oppressed. :question: If you had a string of Polka songs I’d say… yeah… bum deal (Not that there’s anything wrong with Polka music!!!). Is it so unbelievable that someone just didn’t like your mix and offered suggestions rather than jumping to conclusions and pulling out the “bias” card?

cmaffia: Come on – your Tough and probably quite gifted with computers. Hell your
here on Cubase so you must be and you know how to surf the web. I think anyone
with a 6th grade education knows the difference between Rock, Metal, Hip Hop, country,
Jazz, Etc. I try to help a lot of CUBASE Le4 first time users and I’m sure they would love
to post Demo’s or rough Demo’s – but are probably intimidated.

By the way cmaffia I checked out your songs and they are quite good.
Yes I see the Beatle influences in your stuff. Beatles are in my blood
especially the Song Structure’s ,Vocal Harmonies and Engineering, but melodic pop metal
creeped into my blood in the 1970’s -80’s and influenced my song writing
somewhat. The House on the Hill — has some of that influence. :wink:

Jack :smiley: :smiley:

PS: Have you noticed Paul McCartney has a Soundcloud account.
There’s a Link on my site for him. :smiley:

I didn’t mean technically complicated.

Thanks for the listen Jack! Much appreciated.

I’ll have a look, thanks!

Have you seen this at Gearslutz - Members: 198,281
as opposed to Cubase Forum - Total members 22435

To me ,there just aren’t enough posters here to make separate categories work. I guess I mis-read your responses earlier and I’m surprised that you think there is a bias against the style you do. To me there is a definite bias toward pop rock in this forum,. If a poster wants critiques on certain aspects of their songs they should say so when posting. You could ask ,“how is the level, keep in mind the vocal is rough” or "I’m not done layering instruments but how is the arrangement " etc. You just asked for thoughts

I’ll say this as the first thing you read, respond to the reasoning and logical points instead of trying to ask if someone is a Steinberg employee just because they can articulate their points. After all, this is your suggestion, if you can’t even give real, logical reasons for why you want your suggestion implemented than how do you expect it to actually happen?

First of all that person quite obviously has some kind of psychological problems, he posts that same way on anyone’s covers, including my orchestra cover and you seem to fail to have noticed people, including myself, telling that one person to shoo as it’s not wanted here. So I can’t see where you’re get this feeling that rock music genre is oppressed. The guy specifically dissed the song because it was a, and I’m going to employ some literature skills you like, it was a “COVER” song and nothing to do with the musical genre.

Once again, it’s nothing to do with the musical genre and only the fact that it was a cover and it was most likely this same person, you can’t be so unperceptive as to not have grasped that this guy types the same way in how he structures sentences and the terms he uses and that he must obviously have some psychological problem to feel so offended by people doing covers. I’ve only ever posted orchestra stuff here and that same guy called me talentless also because I done an orchestra cover of a song. It’s nothing to do with a negative bias toward rock music, I don’t see how you can base that on just one or two people out of many posting positively.

Right back atcha, why do you care so much to have all these sub-sections when there are so few users? You’re equally pushing this and when presented with logical argument, in return you fail to present a logical argument for your suggestion, simply responding with “well this one guy dissed my cover of a beatles song some years ago, and this same guy dissed someone elses rock cover, we’re being oppressed and need our freedom!!!” That’s how I’ve read your motivation. And just because someone is capable of first of typing fast and second of all coherently I think you should discuss the points instead of saying a 6th grade thing like “are you a Steinberg employee?”

It’s just completely illogical the direction you’re coming from. Mr. M has kindly posted the registered users on the forum you cited as inspiraton and of this forum and as originally said, the only warrant for such a proposal would be if the number of users on this forum were a good five times greater than they currently are and not because you feel hurt by just one mentally disturbed person that hates COVERS of ALL MUSICAL GENRES. I hate using caps but you do not seem to take on-board mine, Mr. M’s and Cmaffia’s points.

Jonathan5456: Cause there’s a few People contributing here
especially in the past year that don’t know what the ******************** there talking about.
It’s there BIASED musical Opinions versus real techniqual know how.
PLUS they intimidate a lot of new posters. Gearslutz is on
to something with --rough Demos & finished Demos.
I would prefer the Terms -ROUGH DEMOS- FINISHED SONGS though.
The potential for Steinberg to pick up a lot of new posters is great
with some changes.

Jack: :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

PS: http://www.recordingmag.com/tapereviews.html
I want some of you to go over these reviews at “READERS TAPES” clear back
to 2008 and notice they use the terms "put on my “Producers Hat”
or “my Engineers Hat” and occasionally will mix the two. :wink:

Oh and Jonathan that Mentally disturbed person is or was
a Steinberg employee IMO discouraging people from posting covers.
The Clown that I got into it with a couple of years ago was
a Steinberg employee IMO also–and is no longer employed with them
so I’m told. Don’t Post Covers here without PERMISSION.
Some LAWYERS are very Hungry. Man this is a song :smiley: