Remove floating menu bar in windows

In windows can you please get rid of the floaty menu bar and embed it back inside the window please- its annoying and wastes space on my second monitor when I stretch mix across my dual monitor set up

6 Likes

I have no idea what you are talking about. Please explain in more detail and send screenshots or videos.

See screen grab…

2 Likes

It is also a pain because if you want to minimize Cubase you have to do it in 2 steps - minimize the Project and then minimize the Cubase program itself. No other Windows Program I use ever behaves this way.

4 Likes

It is weird for sure…
If I remember correctly this portion of the CB GUI was changed with the release on CB 8. CB seemed to conform to the windows standard prior to that.

Regards :sunglasses:

1 Like

It happened when they changed it so other windows weren’t confined to the Project Window. It was an improvement in that you didn’t need to stretch the Project Window across multiple monitors in order to use those monitors. Wouldn’t want to go back to that. But still it should conform to standard Window behavior.

1 Like

It’s weird but I’ve gotten used to it. The only thing that’s weird about it still for me now is when I’m moving windows between multiple desktops (now that windows 10 has the multi-desktop option), and the rectangle that represents Cubase is this super thin little bar. It’s especially thin because I’m on a 4k monitor lol…

I can’t remember if there’s much that it really affects for me now. I just wish the Cubase background and other panels/plugins would stay open when I click away onto the desktop or elsewhere.

While it isn’t available on all the various Windows, on the ones that let you set ‘always on top’ if you turn that off it will behave like a regular Window and not go away when Cubase looses focus. Of course now it can also get hidden behind another window.

Exactly, I don’t like the important windows getting lost behind other windows, so that’s not a good option.

Also, as far as minimizing cubase being complicated, I just never minimize Cubase anymore lol. I’ve been taking advantage of the multiple desktop features a LOT. I basically have a desktop for my Google Drive, Calendar, Keep, Email, etc… and another one for Cubase/RX/Revoice/etc… And then I’ll use another desktop or two for uploading or for graphics or whatever other random things I might need to do. If the multiple desktop feature didn’t exist, it would really suck though.

I have been wanting them to remove this counterintuitive “feature” since it was first introduced. It’s a lazy “make windows work like Mac” hack and should never have been done. Can we bump this to the current list of feature requests for the next version? It’s by far my #1 pet peeve with Cubase.

4 Likes

It is absolutely the worst feature in Cubase right now. So many times I have closed either Cubase without meaning to or other apps. It serves no purpose. Please get rid of this.

1 Like

100 percent. It was just fine in Cubase 7 and before. Only serves to confuse.

I use multi-desktop. Have since Cubase 5. 2 to 3 screens always. Never had an issue. It was only an issue post Cubase 7. Very annoying feature.

I can’t start to describe how annoying is the stupid bar on top. At my company we are evaluating other DAWs, that is the level of annoyance.

We hope to keep working with Cubase however we are ready to move on if is not removed in subsequent versions.

yes it’s annoying but are you seriously saying that you would move to another DAW just because of that ?

And you signed up to the forum just to tell us that :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes, we work with multiple software not only Cubase and it does not play well with our ecosystem. The bar is not the only problem, it affects the audio driver too. I need to make sure any video is not playing in the background. Reaper, Reason and other DAWs don’t act like they are entitled to all your screen real state or to completely take over your audio inputs and outputs.

A work station is not built to only run Cubase.

yes - that’s obviously not the same problem as the “floating menu bar”

It’s an annoying, but rather trivial matter - and you can easily work around it with multiple desktops etc. There are plenty valid reasons to be frustrated with Cubase but the menu bar isn’t even in my top 500 :slight_smile:

But hey, if you are planning to ditch Cubase just because of the menu bar it’s your choice - it just struck me as a little odd. If it’s company, as you said, then there is the extra cost of training the staff to use different software, cost of buying different software, working through issues with a different DAW in your workflow.

Either way - glad you signed up to the forum to specifically let us know :dove:

We are starting the team, and frankly picking up a new DAW is not that difficult.

Had a conversation with a sales representative, looks like the immovable bar is here to stay. So we are NOT using Cubase as our main DAW.

Hope you listen to your customers, there are other post like mine.

The fact that Using Several Audio Applications Simultaneously is possible and is not your default tells me that you are either not concerned with user experience or that there is a lack of awareness of UX/UI.

I’m not sure who you are referring to with ‘your customers’ ? this is a user forum - Steinberg almost certainly won’t read your comment.

Although I see your mind is made up - you and your team feel so bad about the menu bar, despite being able to actually hide it simply creating multiple desktops that you are going to an other DAW.

Again ‘your’ and ‘you’- not sure who you are addressing ?

I don’t see why ASIO background driver behaviour is a UX/UI issue - but fine.

If you are saying that Cubase should ‘just work out of the box with default everything’ on YOUR specific PC…well then I think you have made the correct choice in not using Cubase as your ‘main’ DAW.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Hope your time with cubase hasn’t been too traumatic. :dove:

It’s a shame because in many people’s view Cubase is one of the best and fully featured DAW there is…but it does have a strange ‘floating menu bar in windows’