Remove rest from a staff

I would like to add an empty staff without rests, but it seems I can only hide rests in “Parts” and not in the “Full Score”, unless I hide them for all the players, but it is not what I want.
In Engrave Mode the “Remove Rests” is greyed out.
Thank you in advance.

You can remove rests in any layout. Try it in Write mode.

I got confused, it should have been the Write mode, in fact here “Remove Rests” is not greyed out, but I cannot remove the full bar rests. In fact I have an empty staff, and I would like it to be empty.

Oh, if you want to remove bar rests, there is a setting in layout options, players. I believe. If you only want to remove selected bar rests, you can scale them down to 1% and change them to be transparent.

1 Like

Thank you, I expected some menu hidden somewhere. As far as I can see in Layout option I can hide rests only for the parts. The scale to 1% and transparency workaround did the trick.

As long as the full score is selected in the list on the right, you can hide bar rests in it (but as Dan says, that applies to all bar rests in the layout).

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I think that the ability to have empty staves in a more immediate way could be beneficial for study papers, like figured bass to be completed, notes to be written in pencil while composing a part not at the computer and just for fun. I have seen that Dorico has many features for teachers, and this one could be a good one. Any change to have it in a future update?

I think Dorico is pretty flexible when it comes to empty staves - if you don’t want to hide all bar rests in the layout, you can remove just selected ones in Write mode by choosing Edit > Remove Rests.

You can also show empty staves freely in graphics frames, e.g. if you want to make a section of manuscript between other flows in a worksheet layout.

Do you have pictures/screenshots of the sort of “figured bass to be completed, notes to be written” exercises that you’d be wanting to produce, if beyond just blank staves? So people can give you more precise advice about how to achieve it in Dorico. For instance, you could remove notes and rests from the bottom staff of a piano but leave the top staff in place for students to fill in the harmony; if you want to leave a gap between notes, you can do the same and adjust note spacing if required to create enough horizontal space.

1 Like

Thank you for your detailed answer. No, I do not have anything at hand now, I was just jotting down a few notes. One thing I discovered is that you cannot hide whole rests. Assume that you have a bass line with a figured bass on a grand staff and you want to print a worksheet where the figured bass has to be realised. Or you have a melody with an empty grand staff to be harmonised. It could be handy to have a “hide whole rests” option system by system.

As long as the staff has at least one note or rest in the system, you can hide individual bar rests. Plus in those instances, if there are no bars that you want to show bar rests in, you can use the layout option to hide bar rests.

2 Likes

You can as long as there’s something somewhere on the stave (which could also be hidden). It doesn’t matter whether you put something on bar 1 and set it to both start and end voice, or something at the very end of the flow or anywhere in the middle (with the same properties). If there’s nothing on the stave, the rests don’t really exist, they’re just visual padding, so they will respect whatever’s set in Layout Options.

1 Like

Are these exercises something you envision handing out in printed (or PDF) form or something students would work on in Dorico SE after you create them in Dorico?

I would go for a printed sheet. But for now I was just trying to illustrate some realistic scenarios for a feature that I thought it was present. The option to hide rests in Layout Option works in a different way as I expected.