Remove VST Instrument from Plug-in Manager

How do I remove a VST instrument from the VST Plug-In Manager? I want to remove the old Play_VST_64. I have read the manual and checked searches but all I can find is that the best you can do is to Hide it. Can I get it out of the list altogether?

Click the plugin name and choose “No VST Instrument”

This question is asked so often that you’d think Steinberg would recognise it as a UI flaw and do something about it.

That’s not what the OP is asking.

It kind of depends on how you have Play installed, but it is easy either way. Go to the Plug-In Manager and select Play in the main list on the left. Make sure the bottom is set to “Show Plug-in Information” and find the file pathname where Play is loaded in your OS. If Play is the only plug in that location you can just remove the path in Plug-in Manager and Cubase won’t find it anymore. However if multiple plugs are in that location (very likely)then you won’t want to remove the path. So in the OS go to that folder and delete the Play dll. If you want to keep Play on your computer for other programs to use then move it to a new folder that Cubase isn’t scanning for plugs.

1 Like

Excellent, that solved it. As there were other plug-ins there I simply deleted the .dll. Thanks raino.

(dathho.I knew the fix you mentioned but as raino has said, that wasn’t my question. Thanks anyway!)

I have the same problem and followed your advice above to find the folder (in Windows 10) which is C:\program data\common files\VST3\Steinberg\Halion 6 but there was no dll file or anything saying ‘play’ so I deleted the whole folder but Halion 6 still appears after refreshing the VST Instuments in plug-in manager. Any ideas please?
Actually the main reason I wanted to remove it was to stop it from reporting ‘x hours left to use Halion 6’ please register., but at least deleting the folder seems to have stopped the message :slight_smile:

Perhaps you also had the vst2 version installed in addition to the vst3 version? Look in the plugin manager to see where the file is located.
Just an example of where the information can be found:

Thanks PAT for your super prompt reponse!
It’s more strange now:
I did use the info button to reveal the path but before I posted earlier, that path was as I stated above in ‘common files’ which I deleted that whole Halion 6 folder (I double checked just now by looking in my recycle bin).
When I reopened Cubase and VST plugin manager, Halion 6 was still there but the info showed a different path= C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins\HALion Sonic and there was a dll file which I then deleted in windows explorer & refreshed the VST plugin manager but Halion 6 still showed up stating the same path as the folder I had just deleted LOL. It’s as if it’s indestructible! :slight_smile:
However, (spoiler alert!) I quit and restarted Cubase and Halion 6 has now disappeared!
So the initial advice was correct of course to delete the dll file, it’s just to beware that it may be a 2 stage process to delete the first path it shows then close & reopen to Cubase to see the 2nd path or use my path info above to ignore the common files path and go straight to the C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins\ subfolder if you’re using Win 10.

Thanks to all!
I’m still trying to get my head round installing newly bought Groove agent 5 with the exe files etc and how it links to Steinberg Library Manager and Media Bay - I’ll get there eventually! :slight_smile:

This is actually a bit difficult to understand without appropriate experience.
If plugins are installed as both VST2 and VST3 versions that both have the same ID, then the plugin manager only shows the VST3 version. And only this is used when a plugin is used in the project.
If both plugin versions have different IDs, then both are also displayed in the plugin manager, and the user decides which version he wants to use.
An example of this is Zebra from u-he.

Every time it starts, Cubase checks what has changed in terms of the plugins.

Thanks PAT, I believe I understand now.

If you had kept reading this thread, you would have realized that dathho was incorrectly thinking of a different function or scenario.
What is your actual issue?

Cool attitude bro.
If you can’t be bothered reading, why should someone else be bothered writing?