Removing "add" from chord symbols

has anyone figured out the best way to remove the word “add” from chord symbols in dorico 3? it is kind of driving me crazy.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, kenbro. You can’t easily remove “add” from chord symbols, because it would normally then make the chord symbol ambiguous. But if you really, really want never to see “add” in a chord symbol, you can go to the Chord Symbols page of Engraving Options, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, click the button ‘Edit Project Default Chord Symbols’, and then in the dialog that appears, add the chord symbols from which you don’t want to see “add”, which you’ll have to do for every added note and every root, and then edit the “add9” (or whatever interval it is) component to remove the “add”.

Hey Daniel, I don’t necessarily agree that removing “add” makes chord symbols ambiguous. For example, I’m never using Cmin7add11. I’m writing Cmin7/11 instead which is perfectly clear and is also using much less space than “add11” written out. But sure, that is probably more a question of personal preferences.
However, I’d like to see an option in the future where it’s possible to make further custom edits to the general appearance of chord symbols.
The current chord symbol editor in Dorico is already a massive step forward compared to every other chord symbol editor I’ve ever seen and I really appreciate that. But it would be great to have the option to say: for minor 7 chords with an added 11 my preference is always: “min7/11” or “min7(11)” or “min7(add11)” or whatever.
Right now it’s quite laborious and actually superfluous that you have to do those changes for every single root. Because in my opinion chances are high that the appearance of a chord symbol is consistent no matter what the root of the chord is.

Yes, I agree it would be helpful to be able to specify the appearance of a combination of quality/scale degree/interval/alteration as a unit. Unfortunately it’s quite complicated to achieve it, and it’s not something we’re likely to be working on imminently, but it’s definitely something I can see us returning to in future.