Render beyond track end marker: SOLVED

Hi …

After topping and tailing a track in the montage I typically add a CD Track end marker.

Occasionally, when working with different versions of the same track (explicit/clean/etc) due to operator error, I might overlook pulling back the ‘end’ of the track to the CD Track end marker.

When rendering the whole montage, this results in a track length which goes beyond the CD track end marker … that is it is longer than it was intended to be.

Although it’s my mistake, it is a little annoying that the render will process past the track end marker.

It might only be a few milliseconds, but some labels like their tracks to end min/sec/zero ms. And of course explicit/clean versions need to be identical lengths.

I’m working 24 bit 96 kHz. This was the same in 9.5.

Apart from getting more sleep and watching what I am supposed to be doing, is there something I’m missing.

Or can we maybe look at having ‘render’ stopping at the end marker.

Which render option are you using? whole montage? Region? DDP?

Whole montage … I usually work one montage per track. So the montage is only one stereo track 24/96

If you only have one song in a montage, why have markers at all?

I also have cases where I need to have precise alternate versions and using markers to define the track length and then rendering from the montage as “CD Tracks” seems to work well for maintaining this.

Or, if you keep your method, you could have each alternate version on it’s own montage track and mute all montage track other than the one that is needed. I have one client where I master one song but multiple versions, and having each version on its own montage tracks, and the plugins in the montage output section makes quick and easy work of this.

I put all the versions on their own montage track and mute them all except the top track. You can trim and arrange the clips as needed. Then when it’s time to render the final files, simply have unmuted just the version you want to render and you can use “Whole Montage” and not worry about markers.

I just use it to work out where the fade ends really … and where required easily see that it’s even min/sec no ms.

I put all the versions on their own montage track and mute them all except the top track. You can trim and arrange the clips as needed. Then when it’s time to render the final files, simply have unmuted just the version you want to render and you can use “Whole Montage” and not worry about markers.

I do that mostly.

But I’m really more interested in why it renders past the marker mate.

I think it’s because you’re choosing “Whole Montage” as the render source, it’s technically doing what you are telling it to do. If you choose some marker related render options, then you could be sure only a specific range was rendered.

That makes sense. Thank you as always.