I was rendering a gapless album today where most of the songs flow over into each other with no pause between songs. All songs are the same format (24bit-48khz).
I kept noticing a dropout/silence that was inserted in the audio directly after where I’d placed the Splice marker on the rendered audio. This happens on all songs with a plugin inserted on Clip fx, and that have gapless transitions between songs. On playback before rendering everything sounds perfect. This is only happening on rendering!
After a lot of investigation I’ve realised that when I have a plugin directly on a clip, and have gapless songs (with splice markers), the render will have silence that amounts to the same number reported on a plugin as its latency in the Clip fx section. Say for example if I insert a Weiss DeEss plugin, it says 55ms after the plugin name in the Clip fx. The rendered audio will then have a 55ms of silence inserted just after the cd marker.
Once I remove these plugins from the clip section it renders perfectly, with no dropout/silence.
I’ve tried this with several different plugins (DMG Essence, Weiss DeEsser and Fabfilter Pro-L). It gives the same result with all these different plugins brands. The silence inserted in the rendered audio just changes length according to the latency reported for that particular plugin (40ms, 55ms, 60ms etc).
This makes WL10 unusable for rendering gapless albums for me! I need to be able to use a single plugin directly on a clip and have it render perfectly. This was not a problem in WL9.
I have not noticed this on songs with normal gaps between them. Only today on this gapless album. I’ve done this 1000 times in WL9 without any issues. I always make sure to quantize the cd markers to the closest cd frame before rendering. It´s not that! I believe it has to do with plug-in latency somehow.
I’ve tried both VST2 and VST3 versions of these plugins. Problem stays the same. Even tried it on two different Mac machines. One desktop machine running WL10 on High Sierra, and the other a MacBook Air with Catalina. Exactly the same results on both machines.
I’ve tried all combinations of plugin placements (Clip, Track, Montage Out, Master). The only place inserting a plugin gives this issue in the rendered audio is in the Clip section.