Render in Place, 15 audio track blank

when I use render in place on a midi track assigned to a multiout instrument it creates as many audio tracks as there are physical outputs of the instrument. for example, I want to render a midi track assigned to halionsonic, and I only have one midi track in the project. when I launch “render in Place” it automatically creates, in addition to the audio track relating to the selected midi, another 15 empty tracks. Where am I doing wrong?

Hi,

You are not wrong. This is by design, Cubase always renders all outputs available, because Cubase doesn’t know, which MIDI Track is connected to which Output internally in the VSTi.

Spero venga migliorato, ha poco senso calcolare inutilmente delle tracce vuote

English?
You didn’t understand what @Martin.Jirsak was saying… it is necessary to render all tracks, because Cubase can’t see inside the plugin on wich tracks it is sending any audio…
You should disable not needed outputs instead… This is a “per instance setting”

I understand, thanks

I believe however that the render in place should only work for the selected part. I understand this is difficult to implement, but this should be “normal” behavior. otherwise what’s the point of selecting something to render it in place?

That’s how it works… don’t understand your problem

the “problem” is only a concept. if I select something that I want to render I would like the process to only concern what I have selected. it works like this, ok !!

Hi,

As we explained, there are 2 possible solutions:

• Cubase renders only the very 1st output. If you would route the signal to other Audio Return of the Instrument, you would get silent.
  • Cubase renders all enabled outputs, so you always get your rendered signal, plus some silent channels.

In Steinberg, they decided for the 2nd way, which seems to be correct to me.

Again, Cubase doesn’t know the internal routing in the plug-in.

perfect! thanks again for the explanation.

I am plagued with this as well.

Martin - your explanation of why Cubase must render all enabled outputs is based on flawed logic.

In the instance of a multi-output VST, when it is routed properly, there is a corresponding audio channel in Cubase for each output from said VST. Therefore, if a particular MIDI channel is rendered in place, its audio comes from the associated audio channel. Cubase should be smart enough to know where this audio is coming from, and thus only render the audio from that channel.

I always considered ‘Render in place’ as an automated process of creating an audio track, routing the output from the selected MIDI channel to it, and recording it. Apparently there’s some other voodoo going on in the background, and however it is programmed, it’s flawed, and needs to be fixed.

It would be exactly what I would expect…
and if it worked as you described it would be really fabulous

Hi,

This is correct. But again. Unfortunately the internal plug-in’s routing is a black-box for Cubase. You can route MIDI Channel 1 to Output 5 in the plug-in. Why not? But Cubase doesn’t know. You can route one MIDI source to multiple outputs in the plug-in or multiple sources to one output. All these options are possible in many plug-ins and Cubase has not way, how to find this out.

I rememer, in one of the early Render in Place version, Cubase rendered just the Channel, which has been selected as the Multi-out Instrument Return Channel by the user. But this is not the real Instrument Return Channel routed in the plug-in. This just can help the users, if they set it up correctly. But several users don’t set this up, so there were many reports, the Render in Place rendered just silence.

As written in another thread: Use the Audio Mixdown in the File → Export menu to achieve what you want.
Select the part, press P to set locators around it, solo the track with the part on it. In the Mixdown dialog select the output of the plugin that you want to be rendered.
It takes a bit longer but it is the only way.

of course, it’s the only way, that’s why we complain! when you have projects with many multitimbral instruments it’s a huge investment of time. I think that “it would be enough” for the render in place function to solo the canvas track of the selected midi block. in this way the rendered audio would only have what is present in the midi track of that block. Obviously I can’t expect options such as not treating the inserts, but it would already be a huge time saver. the solution you propose, the only one available, forces you to stay in front of the computer and follow the process for each fragment to be converted into audio

True, you have to do it one by one. Btw - make it a macro.

you still have to launch the macro after processing each block…

True! but if the user is ordered Cubase knows that midi track to which midi channel is assigned for that instrument and which instrument output… if the user is not tidy, too bad for him!:grin:

There could be an option, so tidy users get just the out they choose.

I have my template all set up and would never have silence.
I would like to have only that selected out rendered.

2 Likes

This makes no sense if the VST is routed to specific audio busses properly, in which case Cubase knows where to route the audio when the project is played back. Why is this any different when the render in place process runs? I don’t think you know what you’re talking about as this excuse is based on faulty logic. Stop talking.

Yeah I’ve done this in the past, but it takes effing forever. When you have a network breathing down your neck for 30 minutes of music that’s due in 4 days, processes such as these are not acceptable.

1 Like