Render in place doesn't copy automation lanes with multi-output VSTi

Hello all.

Proccess to replicate the issue:
1.- Create a VSTi track with a multi-output instrument (for example, Superior Drummer, but it can be any other). Activate 3 outputs
2.- Program an arrangement (in our example, kick drum, snare, hi hat and crash)
3.- Route kick drum to output 1 in the VSTi
4.- Route snare to output 2 in the VSTi
5.- Route the rest of sounds to output 3 in the VSTi
6.- Insert a compressor in output 1
7.- Insert an equalizer in output 2 with a low pass filter at 1Khz
8.- Automate the threshold and ratio in output 1 (kick drum)
9.- Automate the low pass filter equalizer frequency to 20Khz
10.- Automate the volume of output 3
11.- Select the event with the arrangement
12.- Click Edit->Render in place - > Render settings
13.- Select the first option “Dry (Transfer Channel Settings)”
14.- Click “Render” button
15.- Cubase will generate 3 audio tracks with the audio and the original inserts BUT WITHOUT the right automation lanes.

If you try to do the same with a one-output-VSTi it works well: the automation lanes are copied to the new audio track.

My system is Cubase 10.5.30 in macOS 10.14.6.

Hi,

This is known and already reported issue. Thank you.

Many thanks for the answer Martin.

Do you know if it is a Cubase 10.5 only issue or it affects Cubase 11 too?

Apologizes for my ignorance: if it is a known issue, does it mean that it will solved in a maintenance update or will it be fixed in next versions of Cubase?

Many thanks for all the information

Hi,

It’s the same in Cubase 11.

The fact, it’s a known issue means, it has been entered as a bug in the internal Steinberg’s bug-tracking system. Then it’s up to the Product Owner to decide if and when this will be fixed. I don’t know this information and I cannot affect it, sorry.

Great information Martin. Many thanks!

Has this been fixed yet? Having the same problem trying to back up some old projects that use the old GrooveAgent ONE Multi-Output VSTi. I only realised it wasn’t copying the sends automation after about a week of laboriously backing up projects!

:cold_face::cold_face::cold_face::cold_face::cold_face:

Once your drum is ok in the project why you don’t just render the drum tracks and then write all the automation eq and stuff with the obtained audio tracks?

It is the same problem: what if I need to change those drums after the render in place is done? I loose all the automation

It is a very old bug and need to be solved.

“what if I need to change those drums after the render in place is done?”
You can render the new changed drum and move on their existing audio tracks, part of them or all of them, then you can bounce. It takes nothing to do it . Or just save any track preset and load to the new tracks. Keep in mind that any change on the drum track you’ll need to render audio as well, it’s just a little step more (loading track preset). Furthermore the saved presets could come useful with new projects.

obviously you can do that and many other workarounds that I had developed during years of this bug identified and not solved

call me fussy, but I think it should work as expected