Render in Place Issue in Cubase 11

One of the 2 issues come up when trying to use Render in Place (Cubase 11 pro)

1. Cubase Freezes
  2. Audio track is generated with no Sound (no signal )

Questions

1. Studio → Audio Connections.
    Input OR External Instrument … which Audio Device of the 2 should get the ASIO driver assigned
    May have something to do with the problem?

Sometimes Render in Place works but I can’t crack the reason or learn anything from that accidental working.

Hi,

Could you be more specific, please?

When does the 1st issue (freeze) happens?

When does the 1st issue (no signal) happens? Are you talking about Instrument Tracks with multi-outs? If yes, then it works as expected. All outputs are always rendered.

Btw, if you Render in Place External Instrument, it must always run in Realtime.

Thanks for your response, Martin.

1. One more clarification - Render in Place always works for VST Instruments. The issue comes up with external Synths connected through MIDI.
  2. So for External INstrument, at run time, the midi track plays as if it is going to render it. Then at the end of Track, it freezes. Sometimes, If I do small parts of the MIDI track, it works, SO maybe on a longer track, it runs out of breath. But just now it froze even on 4 measures of MIDI track. So not sure my theory is correct
  3. Audio track gets generated without any signal - that happens when ASIO drives are assigned to Inputs and Not EXTERNAL Instrument ( I think only one of the two can have ASIO driver assigned)

I tried another thing. I disabled all other tracks, then did small MIDI parts of the track. It Rendered. But then it Froze again on the next small part. Now it is freezing everytime. I can’t replicate even on a small part of the track. Please help resolve this mystery, conflict somewhere

Hi,

Do you render Yamaha or Triton? As far as I can see in the screenshot, Triton has not Input setup in the External Instrument.

I switch the Audio device for the External Instrument that I need to use.
I will summarize (having run more experiments since the post), It is not a setup issue, otherwise, it would never work. It does work sometimes. Other times Cubase freezes. I have to kill the program.

Maybe there is some conflict somewhere or maybe it has to do with the length of the MIDI track. The rendering process goes through the entire track, freeze happens after it is done playing the track. Could it be a buffer size issue?

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 11:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase11

Nuendo 11:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo10

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Thanks, Martin. Will try to follow instructions and send the dump from crash

Hi Martin,
I have the dump file. It is 5 MB (Zipped). How do I send it to you?
Please send details for sending you the file

Hi,

Share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Sorry, can you write one line instruction, how? Don’t I need some address to send it to.
Sorry, have not send anything to Cubase before

Hi Martin, can you please let me know how (what address etc.) to send you dump files?

Hi,

As written, share the Dropbox (or other service) link here, please.

Ok, sorry, did not understand your comment before
( have not used such services before).

Hi Martin. Any update. Did the dump help to figure Cubase freezing issue?

Hi,

Reported to Steinberg. Thank you.

Thanks, Martin. What is the typical response time (assuming there will be one)

Hi,

It’s not about to take a response. This has to be fixed in Cubase. So you have to wait for the next release.

Could you try in the Cubase Safe Start Mode [Disable preferences], please?

Could you please also try to reinstall Cubase? Make sure, you install it as administrator.

Thanks Martin.
What’s the issue though, any details on why this happens? I will reinstall and all , if reasonable sure it will fix the issue

Still waiting if this issue has been addressed in an update or next release. I would not like to do any reinstall etc till Cubase assures me that problem has been fixed. It is quite annoying not to be able to use Render in place functionality for External MIDI Instruments