Render in Place vs Bounce Audio

Hi all,

What’s the difference between audio>“Bounce Selection” and “Render in Place”?

Bounce Selection is not a render. Its takes multiple selections, make it as 1 file and 1 event.

If I were working on one audio track that had a part which then edited. Would render in place or bounce selection be appropriate to create a new audio file with all my edits rendered?

If you want to render, you can only use “Render in Place”. A new audio file requires “Render in place”. If you want to replace the audio and events you already got, you choose “Bounce selection”.

Bounce Selection and Render in Place both create new audio files.

You can use Bounce Selection to combine separate audio events into a single event and audio file, or you can use it to just grab a certain portion of an audio event and make a new file/event out of that section. You generally use it when you’re just consolidating or isolating a bit of audio for use inside your project. (I always use Bounce Selection after comping vocals.)

Render In Place can work on audio or midi parts. It can work on ranges, events, or whole tracks. The main purpose is to render out stems for export into other tools, but I’ve used it before as a sort of “permanent freeze” when I’m nearing completion of a project.

Bounce Selection can’t do everything Render In Place can do, but it’s quicker to use if you’re simply planning to consolidate a few selected audio events inside your project.

1 Like

‘Bounce Selection’ does create a new audio file. It takes all the selected audio events and writes a new file and if you choose the ‘replace’ option the new file will be placed upon the existing audio track. The key thing to note is that the file created using Bounce Selection will NOT include any of your signal path (i.e. insert FX, EQ, Aux sends, volume automation etc.)

‘Render In Place’ is used if you want the audio events to be written to a new file INCLUDING some or all of your signal path. Render in Place will also create a new audio track, upon which your new file will appear.

2 Likes

Ofc it creates a new audio file. But in this context I thought it would be clearer for TS to differentiate.

One thing I found confusing about those answers is that bounce selection actually applies AudioWarp and VariAudio changes. How come it does that if it only pastes various audio together?..

hi

The manual isn’t very clear on this IMO

Bounce Selection does do processing - it’s not just pasting together files.

It processes all the ‘offline processes’, the ones you have listed plus ARA2 extensions. What it doesn’t do is process the channel inserts / EQ etc.

2 Likes