Render in Place vs Bounce Selection

What does ‘Render in Place’ do that ‘Bounce Selection’ doesn’t?

Does Bounce Selection implement any tempo changes to a clip in the bounce if that clip is changed because it is in musical mode?

Does Bounce Selection implement any of the signal path in the bounce? e.g. pre-gain, low cut, high cut

Does Bounce selection implement any fades set on a clip when it does the bounce?

Bounce will combine a bunch of pieces in to a single piece. Render in place will create a new track that will let you render down VSTs or combine tracks with or without inserts,etc. I use bounce if I have comped together a bunch of pieces into a single performance and I only want to deal with a single clip. I use RIP to relieve the CPU of playing back VSTs or if I’ve layered a few tracks to create a single sound.

…beaten to it but yes, as mbira says.

Hi, I get that… but I’m trying to clarify what Bounce does and does not include in the bounce process.

I know the signal path is not included in a bounce but there’s not much info on this in the manual: Creating New Files From Events

In particular:

• Does Bounce Selection implement any tempo changes to a clip in the bounce if that clip is changed because it is in musical mode?

• Does Bounce Selection implement any of the signal path in the bounce? e.g. pre-gain, low cut, high cut

• What other changes will Bounce to Selection not apply during the bounce?

I’ve put the content from the user manual link here:

Creating New Files From Events

An audio event plays a section of an audio clip, which in turn refers to one or more audio files on the hard disk. However, you can create a new file that consists only of the section that is played by the event.
Procedure

Select one or several audio events.
Set up fade in, fade out, and event volume.

These settings will be applied to the new file.
Select Audio > Bounce Selection.

You are asked whether you want to replace the selected event or not.
Do one of the following:

To create a new file that only contains the audio in the original event, click Replace.

To create a new file and add a clip for the new file to the Pool, click No.

Result

If you clicked Replace, a clip for the new file is added to the Pool, and the original event is replaced by a new event playing the new clip.

If you clicked No, the original event is not replaced.
Note

You can also apply the Bounce Selection function to audio parts. In that case, the audio from all events in the part is combined to a single audio file. If you select Replace when asked, the part is replaced with a single audio event playing a clip of the new file.

1 Like

Bounce will not include anything done from the inserts and the channel into the file, however as the new clip will be placed on the same track you will still have all that running.
Bounce will include any offline processing done and bake it into the file itself.
Bounce will combine all selected clips on a track into a single clip. That clip will be as it is before bounce, meaning any tempo changes, edits and moves will be baked into the new clip.

Basically bounce will take all selected clips on a track and put them into a new single clip before any channel processing is done.

6 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: