Rendering from montage - processing ignored

I have a montage with 5 clips. I ran a process to bring up their loudness levels to -23. When I play them from the montage they sound fine. When I render them from the montage the rendered files still have the loudness of the original file the clip before it was added to the montage. Not being able to figure out why, I ended up just processing the original files to the desired loudness.

Why are the files rendered from the montage not reflecting the processing that I did to them?

This seems strange but to help, more info is needed.

Maybe you can share a screen shot of your montage and render settings?

Screen shots of the montage and render settings. I have Bypass Master Section set but I don’t have anything setup there.

Here’s another screen capture of my rendering options.
WaveLabMontageRenderSettings.PNG

That’s interesting. Maybe PG can weigh in in the morning. I can look closer in a bit tonight yet but everything looks correct.

I’ve never had simple rendering not work. What I hear in the montage is what I get.

One exception has been few 3rd party plugins that work on playback but not rendering but I’ve never had the montage itself not render correctly. Hopefully somebody here can help you get it sorted out.

I’ll check back in soon.

With your settings, you create new audio files. You don’t replace the audio files used by the montage.

That’s what I want to do. I need to render out the files for digital distribution.

Maybe a little more history on what’s going on…

To start off, I created a montage and added the files that I wanted to be in my album release. I needed to bring the loudness of the clips to the same level, -23 LUFS. To do that I ran the Meta Normalizer process shown in this image:

The clips in the montage were processed and I could see the amplitude of the waveforms had increased.

I then did a render of all the CD tracks to a folder. Checking the loudness of the rendered files I found that they all had the same loudness of the original clip before it was brought into the montage and did not reflect the Meta Normalizer process I had ran on them.

I don’t really see how this is possible. How do you verify the loudness in the resulting files?

I bring them into another tool, Sound Forge, and use its statistic tool.

You can use WaveLab Global Analysis Tool to make your measurements.

apart from that, try this: move down one clip envelope a lot, to create a major level difference. Then render. Can you see the envelope effect?

I also don’t see how it’s possible. This may sound dumb but how certain are you that you are analyzing the new files?

As PG said, maybe you can check the files in the WaveLab Audio Editor to measure the loudness.

If you have time to make a full video recording of your process of playing a sample of the montage, rendering it to a new folder, and then analyzing the new files that might offer a clue.

Whatever you hear in the montage should be what gets rendered aside from any plugin processing issues. Is your global master fader at 0dB to be sure of fair comparisons when listening?

I also don’t see how it’s possible. This may sound dumb but how certain are you that you are analyzing the new files?

I’m certain. I rendered the files to a separate folder and named them with a time stamp.

If you have time to make a full video recording of your process of playing a sample of the montage, rendering it to a new folder, and then analyzing the new files that might offer a clue.

I was able to get the files rendered to a uniform loudness by using the Montage Output option of Rendering. I’m moving on to a new project but if I have the issue again I’ll be sure to do that.

Whatever you hear in the montage should be what gets rendered aside from any plugin processing issues. Is your global master fader at 0dB to be sure of fair comparisons when listening?

I never changed the settings of the master fader.

I appreciate everyone’s help on the matter.

Interesting. What other method is there?

Is there a chance you were just exporting the clips from the montage instead of rendering newly processed files?