Repeat "barlines" in the middle of a bar?

In a piece with a pick-up bar, I want to repeat the music such that it takes the pick-up into account. In other words, I want to have repeat “barlines” positioned in the middle of a bar, like in measure 8 of the Beethoven example below.

How can I do something like that, but still preserve the time signature – as in this example?

Thanks a lot!

Just position the caret where you want the end-start repeat barline to go, and create it, either from the panel on the right-hand side or using the Shift+B popover.

Thanks a lot, I can confirm that this is working nicely!

I was initially confused by the fact that they are called barlines, but after confirming that they are also called that way in Behind Bars, I just tried what you suggested, and voila!

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

@torsten_anders Dorico handles this superbly, but your point is well-taken. They are repeat “marks” not “bar lines”.

1 Like

In French, those are called “barre de reprise”… That’s why it would not be a problem for a French speaking musician :person_shrugging:

@MarcLarcher I stand corrected. This may be another case of French (and British) vs. American usage. In the Harvard Dictionary of Music (considered somewhat of a standard in musical terminology in the US) it is called a “repeat sign” under “repeat”. There is no mention of the “repeat sign” under the “bar line” entry.

But I guess we are not very precise in using the term “bar line”. One would think that a bar line is what it says. It marks off the bars (or measures). Yet we have can have repeat and double “bar lines” that don’t do anything of the kind since they are placed within measures. So “bar line” is used very loosely.

I have to agree here. Bar lines as measure boundaries are called “barre de mesure”. Barline is just a vertical line, for us French speaking people, and need to be completed with extra information that really define what it is.

Very interesting @MarcLarcher. The English “bar” obviously derives from the French “barre” and may mean exactly the same thing: something straight and rigid like a rod or line. But at some point the English “bar” lost that meaning in a musical context and became equated with the actual measure of music; so then the word “line” had to be added for clarification! We are in effect saying that it is a “line-line”. What a mess. I prefer the French system.

1 Like

A friend at conservatory decades ago came in calling them “measure bars”! I thought that was ridiculous, but I guess it does make some sense.

@Mark_Johnson Did your friend also say “repeat bars”? Your friend sounds French.

1 Like