Repeat endings mystery graphic

Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 4.49.10 PM
What are these little “squiggles” next to the repeat ending numbers (and how do I get rid of them)?

Thanks!

What’s set at Library > Engraving Options > Repeat Endings > Times Played?

By default both values should be a period/full stop.

Thanks for the quick response! Here’s a shot of my Engraving Options>Repeat Endings>Times Played. How should the settings look so that those markings don’t show up?

It might be quicker if you’re happy to share this project here on the forum? Or a cut-down version just containing these bars if you don’t want to share the whole thing.

Here you go!
Holiday For Strings.dorico (824.5 KB)

Any other suggestions for improving the engraving are gratefully accepted!

I suspect it’s a font mismatch: Dorico is expecting certain glyphs to be in certain places, and text fonts put glyphs in different places to music fonts. Selecting the Text Std font version seems to work better.

For formatting advice more generally:

• Save yourself time and faff by updating how text should appear by editing the corresponding paragraph style. E.g. update the “Default Text” paragraph and font styles, and all other paragraph/font styles with that as a parent (or grandparent) style will also update.

• Similarly, add in your title information in Project Info. That saves you having to enter the text manually on every page, because Dorico uses tokens on page templates to make sure whatever the latest text in Project Info is, is what appears on pages throughout the project (picture a 200-page score, and shudder at the time you’d waste!)

• Have a play with adjusting a layout’s note spacing and vertical spacing settings before inserting loads of manual breaks, they can have quite powerful effects and it can be fun to see the music flex.

Holiday For Strings_LH.dorico (761.6 KB)

Wow! Thanks for all that. I’ll need some time to digest.

Hi again - Sorry … but I’m still a little unclear as to how this works. I have a gazillion fonts on my computer, including many from Sibelius and other music programs. How can I tell which ones will work in Dorico? In Sibelius, I used Inkpen chords for lead sheets, but that set doesn’t seem to work in Dorico. (It results in the unwanted “squiggles” mentioned earlier in this thread.)

Is there a similar “Real Book”-type font available in Dorico?
Thanks very much!
Dan

Dorico introduced a whole new kind of musical fonts which is de facto the standard : SMuFL fonts. The only real notation software that still doesn’t use this standard is… Sibelius.
Petaluma is a kind of Real Book font shipped with Dorico. Fonts from MuseScore and Finale (both now comply with SMuFL) are included with Dorico 5 (but you could install them from the day they were available).
Not sure it helps, but now you know :wink:
There’s an increasing number of SMuFL fonts available, most are listed on the Resources page.

1 Like

Vert helpful! Thanks!

Is there somewhere a list of SMuFL fonts? Or maybe just the fonts shipped with Dorico?

In addition to Bravura and Petaluma. See the Dorico5 Version History…

1 Like

For visual examples of the new music fonts included with Dorico 5, see here:

1 Like

Perfect! Thanks.

1 Like

Sorry … but I think I need a little more help with the TEXT fonts for chord symbols. Here’s how my Font Styles are set:

But I’m still getting errors in the file (the first chord should be Bb). And when I change the font size in the Edit Font Styles window, nothing happens in the file. (Thanks in advance for your patience!)

You almost definitely need to be using Finale Jazz here, which is not the same font as Finale Jazz Text. This is actually the inverse of the problem you were experiencing further up the thread: text styles in Dorico that display text need to use text fonts, whereas text styles in Dorico that display music symbols need to use (SMUFL) music fonts.

OK. I changed the font family from Finale Jazz Text to Finale Jazzand here’s the result:

Is this how Finale Jazz is supposed to look?

The settings now look like this:

Your second screenshot shows the settings for Default Text Font, which is a totally different font style used for lots of things typically unrelated to chord symbols. This should be set to use a text font family, so definitely not Finale Jazz.

There are two (or even three) font styles used for making chord symbols:
Chord Symbols Font, which is used for all of the letters you’d see in English, and
Chord Symbols Music Text Font, which is used for all the symbols that are specific to music.

The first of these needs to be set to use a regular text font (family), e.g. Finale Jazz Text, and the second of these needs to be set to use a music font, e.g. Finale Jazz.